Return to Website

When Steel Talks

Welcome to the Pan Forum... Everything related to the steel pan will be discussed here... The Voice of the Pan instrument as interpreted through the Pan players, arrangers, tuners, and you, the Pan Lover  as you meet and greet right here in the Pan Forum! This is your very own Panyard where you all can share thoughts, ideas, experiences and information. This Pan Forum is the place where your informative exchanges are setting the scene for Pans acclaimed recognition, on the world stage! Everyone is welcome! Big and small Give your views, share it all!

When Steel Talks
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
ANOTHER CLIVE BRADLEY MASTERPIECE AND WITCO WINS!

Clive Bradley's musical might has prevailed again. This time it was at the inaugural Republic Pan Fiesta competition which was held at the Queen's Park Savannah, Trinidad on Saturday, September 20th.

WITCO Desperadoes erupted the large crowd, defeated reigining national panorama winner Exodus and captured both the $50,000 cash prize and the title of Republic Pan Fiesta champion. They flawlessly performed the masterful Clive Bradley arrangement of 'This Melody Sweet,' which was composed by Winsford Des Vignes.

This latest Bradley success comes less than one month after his brilliant arrangement of 'Trini to the Bone' left pan lovers spellbound at the 2003 New York panorama, as Pantonic towered over the field. Those who earlier this year accused Bradley of suffering from "a creative drought,"--and they know who they are--all I have to say to you is, enjoy your "toe jam."

Even more gratifying to me was the reunification of Bradley and WITCO Desperadoes. I am overjoyed by the fact that they resolved the differences that separated them shortly before the 2003 Trinidad panorama finals. I predict a 2004 national panorama title for Desperadoes if Bradley remains in the arranger's chair.

Bradley's arrangements have earned six of the ten Desperadoes panorama triumphs. He is the only arranger, other than Jit Samaroo, to have achieved a 'hat trick.' While Jit's feat was accomplished with Renegades, Bradley won with NuTones in 1998 and then took Desperadoes to back to back titles in 1999 and 2000. He is the only arranger ever to have two bands place in the top three in the Trinidad panorama finals, in 40 years of competition (1963-2003). In 1999 when Desperadoes won the title, NuTones took third place.

Congratulations and thank you Clive Bradley for sharing your creative gifts with us all!