Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Long term effect

Mexillitine is definitely a wonder drug for me. My body has got so used to it that im always slightly stiff but without it i cant even do as much as turn to look without my neck just contracting like crazy. I have been reading a lot and it seems like the majority is only affected in the legs and arms. Does anyone have it affecting basically every muscle? Thanks for the quick response Jan!

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen

Hi Buddy:

I have Becker MC, and if I don't exercise regularly I feel the effects of the MC much more. I have had the MC effect just about every muscle.

MC aside, I had a friend who, in high school, was as thin as a rail and would pretty much eat as much as anything he wanted. I used to warn him that it was going to catch up with him someday. Surely enough, by the time he hit 30 he was probably somewhere around 30lbs overweight. There are also things like heart/cardiovascular disease to consider.

You might want to get some books on "eating clean" and give it a try for a month and see if you see any improvement in the way you feel, even if you don't feel bad, you might not feel as good as you could.

Type of Myotonia: Becker

Me and my dad both have Thomsen's and he says he always did what you and me do (I'm 17 by the way) and it worked out just the same for him. He says that when you turn 40 it hits the fan and catches up with you a little bit. But considering how he took care of himself in college, I don't think its as severe as it could be. But hey, better safe than sorry right? Might as well be healthy!

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's