Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Channan:Heart of the Heians, by Elmar T. Schmeisser Ph.D.

Has anyone had the chance to view this book?
Could this be the 2 actual Channan Kata that were the base for the Heian/ Pinan/ Pyong Ahn ?
The back of the book shows both Dai and Sho.
What do you think?

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Channan:Heart of the Heians, by Elmar T. Schmeisser Ph.D.

It's possible , but how can we tell ? I mean , the amount of people that actually practice Channan are about equal to those that practice SRJK . It's not even practiced in Okinawa , anymore , so I doubt it .

David

I will do some more looking into this one, maybe I will get a reply from Dr Schmeisser, keep you posted.

b

Re: Re: Channan:Heart of the Heians, by Elmar T. Schmeisser Ph.D.

Have you bought the book or video?

JJ

Martial Art Style TSD

Re: Re: Re: Channan:Heart of the Heians, by Elmar T. Schmeisser Ph.D.

Bernard ,

There are several other people I would try to contact , that I believe that they say they practice the Channan Kata , as well . Chuck Chandler , Al Martin , Paul Hart , & see if they have footage . I would then compare that to what is shown in the books . If there all doing something completely different , then you know somethings wrong . I dont know if it was brought up on WS , The MGK forum , or perhaps in private , but KJN Ferraro & I discussed it , as well . On the cover , I believe it shows the jump in Heian Go Dan / Pyung Ahn Oh Dan . These are Okinawan Kata ( The Channans ) , in Okinawa there is no jump in Pinan Go Dan , so I would be skeptical myself . He might be trying to Shotokanize it though . But , then , I do believe it would defeat the purpose , wouldnt you ?

David

Thanks, I will try to get ahold of the guys you mentioned, I have spoke to a guy in Australia who also does them, he was checking for footage last I heard from him, maybe that will pan out also.

b

Re: Re: Channan:Heart of the Heians, by Elmar T. Schmeisser Ph.D.

Just bouncing around and ran into this thread. Why not ask me (the author) about it? There are apparently several different kata sets that share the name "channan", and are radically different from each other. The ones I have are clearly related to (and seem to predate) the pinan series. I have no delusions that they ARE the ancestors of these however; I merely presented what I was shown, and also provided comparisons with the heians. Take them for what they are - an exercise in hypothesis testing.

- elmar

Dear Dr Schmeisser,

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and offer to share your knowledge of the Channan,How old do you think the kata is? where did you find this version of the kata? how many others did you locate during your research? who still does the Channan kata? how close to the original do you think the version you show in your book is??

Tang Soo
bernard

Looks like it was a hit an run by the good Doctor