Author
Comment
any female martial artists around?

Martial Art Style as many as possible. Tang Soo Do

Re: any female martial artists around?

Here!

I am a 7th gup in Tang Soo Do.

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Re: any female martial artists around?

Hi Melanie
A girl who enjoys martial arts is pretty rare. I dont know if that sounded like a cheesy line or not.I was just wondering if they exist.

Allen

Martial Art Style tsd/all

Re: Re: Re: any female martial artists around?

My children's class is split about 50/50...
My adult class is about 60/40 females...
AND...they know how to hurt you! The main problem with the ladies is the fact that most of them are mommies and involved in their children's activities,,,,as any good parent should be....but their class time suffers because of it.
My Black Belts that I have promoted over the years are about 60/40 male.....

Martial Art Style TSD/KickBoxing

Re: Re: Re: Re: any female martial artists around?

I have 'John's Angels' in my class.

I'll post a photo on my site one day.

These girls crack me up doing the 'Charlie's Angels' thing. Lots of times after class...they all go to the same local spot. I often stop in to get a soda. As soon as I come in the door I yell out, "Hello Angels!"...to wit they reply in chorus "Hello Charlie!"

LOL!

JH

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: any female martial artists around?

@JH - what is your website?

I am a bit sad about the lack of younger women in martial arts - it is either 16 year old black belts or moms 35 + .... I am in my early 20ies and I miss having a girl in my agegroup and my leven to train with.

Re: any female martial artists around?

Melanie,

Practice, practice, melanie, Greenwhich is coming, there you will find an abundance of like minded ladies, I've seen your division fight, (shudder).
I'll Take Pictures

Bernard

ps, thanks for sending me those shots, the one of the last move in Kong Sang Koon is my favorite.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: any female martial artists around?

http://www.geocities.com/auburntsdclub/index.html

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: any female martial artists around?

We have several young ladies in their 20's at our school. What state/city are you in?

I am a 6th gup Tang Soo Do. I started training with my husband Grand Master Dave Zacker. At first I was interested only in the fitness aspect of it. I had no interest in sparring and I didnt think self defense was a priority for me to learn. After getting started.......I found out I love it and understand my husbands passion now. I take the self defense more seriously and I dont worry about getting a bruise or a broken fingernail anymore from sparring LOL. We have several women at our school training. We have all ages......teens, twenties, thirties and even a woman in her early 50s that just started. At our school we allow families to train together. This helps women work it in to their schedules since they dont have to set aside a seperate time for them to train. They also get quality time with thier children.
Christy

Martial Art Style Michigan Tang Soo Do karate & Fitness center

I'm a 2nd gup in Tang Soo Do. I'm an Asst. Instructor for the fist two classes then I take my class and there are quite a bit of girls in the classes but they are mostly little kids.

Amy

Questions??

I have female martial artists, but the 20 something females have been rare. Most are Children 18 and under and the rest tend to be mothers 30 plus.

Good news is however, many of the 18 year old female students I lose, I lose to college...which is an awesome way for them to go...though I am hoping to get them back during the summers :)

My Question would be for those that have the 20 something ladies in their schools, how do you bring them in and once they are there keep them? If you have some good advice, please share :) Many of the instructors in my area ponder the same question and short of offering Aerobic kick boxing (which works by the way for getting them in the door, but not necessarily into the traditional classes-I have little desire to teach Aerobic Kick boxing as a class) we have not found a good answer. The 20 something woman that stays in seems to be the anamoly for many of us.

And for women out there, are there things which go on in some schools that make you uncomfortable? And when you are there or find a class what makes you want to stay in that particular school over another? Is it the instructor, the way he projects himself? How much of an impact does he have and what things do instructors do that help you and what things hinder you or tend to turn you off to that particular school or the martial arts?

Thank you in advance,

Jamie Yowell