Author
Comment
Weapons

What weapons do you train with?

What rank do you start?

How many forms per weapon?

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Weapons

I train in a wide variety of weapons...two fists, two elbows, two knees, two feet, one head....that's about it!

JP

At my school and headquarters I teach...
the bo staff (okinawan kata)
the korean bong
the korean sword
fan
chinese broad swords
spear
butteryfly swords
kwan dao
3 sectional staff
sai
nunchaku
tonfa
kama
plus more.....
I teach the bong at around 7th gup
MD

I train with the following:

Tanto, Bo Staff, Katana/Wakizashi, Kamas, Sais, Arnis Stick(s), Nunchuckas and I "play" with an assortment of other weapons.

As for what weapon I start my students with...I start them with the Bo Staff and presently teach 5 Bo Forms. I took some advice and started them at lower Gup ratings and the results have been disappointing. It turns out what I was taught years ago and my instincts were correct. Without the conditioning and good stances it has proven difficult for 7th or 6th Gup students to execute the movements correctly. While I am willing to acknowledge that this may be a results of my limitations as an instructor, I also would note that Students at the rank of 3rd to 1st Gup pick it up more quickly and Dan students pick the moves up rapidly. When teaching them, I am asking that they learn to use an object as an extension of their own bodies...it seems they must learn to control their own bodies first.

The next weapon or the weapon I teach after Bassai Teh is the Tanto or knife. While my federation does not use these forms, they are good forms taught to me by a Tang Soo Do Master Myung Seok Seo while I was in Maryland. This is where he placed them, so that is where I teach them. By the time they were to learn these forms my students will know 3 bo forms.

Having competed on the open circuit, I can say that the weapons for exhibition that due best tend to be the staff and sword. Though I have placed quite highly with the traditional knife forms I tend to believe that is because no one else uses a knife. I enjoy competing and most often walk out with first..but I try to stick with the more traditional style of froms. The key I find is that with good power and a willingness to put everything into the weapon and a willingness to perform at combat speed will more often than not beat the "Majorettes" out there that are all flash and no substance.

In the end, I believe the weapons are part of the art and learn them more for that reason than self defense. For art purposes they all are good to learn, for self defense probably knife, stick, staff...I was originally taught you learn to use weapons not to defend yourself with them, but to understand them so if you are attacked by someone wielding one you know its capablilities and have a better chance to defend yourself. This is what I teach, but having been a black belt (midnight blue belt) for 20 years(4th Dan in my federation promotions come slow)...I found the art involved in using the weapon was ultimately more alluring to me.

Jamie Yowell
4th Dan Tang Soo Do

I train with the bo staff and am currently a fourth gup. I originally started training with bo staff at 9th or 8th gup. i currently know 2 forms with Bo, and will be learning another one at 3rd or 2nd Gup. every time i've went to a tournament i placed 2nd or first in weapons. my tip to any one who is competing with bo staff would be to have a lot of energy, good stances, loud kyups, and exagerate the snaps in your hip.

Sound advice Eric, that is good for everyone no matter the rank!
What are the names of your bo hyung & how many forms will you know by dan? what org are you in? do you do any other weapons in your org?

Tang Soo!
b

Teeth, finger & toe nails - are also very effective. My favorite defensive technique is really bad breath, and I mean like dead rat in your mouth for a month - bad breath.

As an "open hand" school we do not teach weapons except the Bo Staff. We have two basic BO forms and we are learning Tokominuku Bo Kata as or "competitive form".

Hey, if anyone would like to come my Summer Camp Seminar in July and teach a really kewl Escrima Weapon Form as an elective, I am sure we can arrange a free pass to the seminar.

Tang Soo!
Dave Doty, Ee Dan
Host of "the Way of the Hyung" summer camp
www.cka.50megs.com

Bo Staff?? thats staff staff, hahahahaha

Anyway,

How about the old Pinch, or horse bite as it was called, try grabbing a handful of inner thigh skin and squeezing and twisting, same for the skin below the armpit, chest area(hmm) this works great to disrupt someones attack and temporarily will freeze them in some instances

I am looking for beginner books and videos on escrima stick fighting - any recommendations?

Tang Soo!
Dave

Re: Re: Weapons

I can ask around and see if anyone I know has some good recommendations. I enjoy the sticks, but it was not a weapon that I was really intrigued enough with to start a library on after I was instructed on how to use them :)

Now had you asked about the Sword...I have loads of books I could recommend :) That weapon just has always captivated me ever since I can remember. Not even sure why, perhaps as simple as I like shiny things :)

Weapons to me are a part of the art and as such they have a wonderful place, but they are in addition to the empty hand, and never a replacement. I had an individual recently that thought that weapons take away from empty hand training and it amazed me. I think it is the exact opposite in that it enhances ones training. It really helps you know your body better and most weapons forms really emphasize good stances, without a good base-generating power and good clean-controlled technique with a weapon is difficult at best.

And you like Bo-Staff meaning BO BO....

Try this one... Turning-Dora :)

Hmmmm I say it because it is the way my instructor before me gave the command...but that is definitely up there with Bo Bo :)

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone,

Jamie