Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tang Soo Do Grabs

While going over Tang Soo Do grabs, I notice that we seem to stop at the midpoint of the wrist lock,just at the point of pain, and throw a kick or punch instead of following thru with a take down. Why is this? Is it because it is a stand up system? well no, because you can control and take a person down without going to the ground yourself.Could it be a safety issue? this may make more sense since many stand up Martial Artists don't know how to fall,and once on the ground become the proverbial turtle on their back. So I wonder if it would be wise to return re introduce the full take downs to the system and reintroduce the breakfall techniques that Tang Soo Do must have had at some point before being dropped in favor of the half technique we do now, I would keep the kick at the end of the lock then follow thru after the kick or punch with a take down and control on the ground. what say you??

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Tang Soo Do Grabs

Tang Soo Do grabbing tecs are what they are, jujitsu locks that indeed stop short of the take down, why is that? you would have to go back in time and ask Dojunim Hwang Kee, but the fact that they imobilize the antagonist so you can use strikes may indicate the focus was on striking not grappling. Regardless they are not something you would use in a real situation. They are only good for rudimentary teaching of the basic movement of joints.Why do TSD systems not teach falling/ rolling tecs? punching and kicking is stand up, if you are falling you have lost.

Re: Tang Soo Do Grabs

I agree that the grabs are more for training than actual use-though in the right circumstances they would be very effective, but to say if you are falling you have lost so there is no need for falling/breakfalling skills is a generalization that I think is flawed logic, I think that we must have good foundation in basic rolling/breakfalling, if only to keep from being injured in a fall, takedown, slip on the dojang floor, what have you and it should be mandatory from white belt.As for the joint locks, I don't see anything wrong with the grabs as they are now, still I would like to see more takedowns, maybe at the dan level the whole takedown could be added to the curriculum to add to the knowledge base of the dans.?? Also I would like more attacks below the waist, to the groin, inner thigh, knee ankle/foot, these are very effective attacks, that are not being taught.

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do