Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
MGK Summer Camp

I will be going to Rhode Island for the Summer Camp, this will be the first one I have been able to go to!!
Is anyone else going this year?

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: MGK Summer Camp

Hi Mr.Redfield!
Last year's summer camp was soooooo cool! I am sure you will have a great time this year! I am sad that I can't go but maybe I can already sign up fo rnext summer?

Hi Melanie!!

This will be my first camp, I really look forward to it! there is going to be a star studded line up!! I hope the weather will be on our side, although I'm sure training in a thunderstorm will have its merits also, think of the energy we could tap

How are you doing? I hope you are having a good time in South America! You must write about your experience.
How is the Mi Guk Kwan treating you down there? What is your training like?
You have to have all your new friends come to the message board and join in, I would love to have them on board!!

Tang Soo!!

b

Re: Re: MGK Summer Camp

Hi Mr. Redfield,
I am having my first class tonight and I am already very exited! I will report back to you and also let everyone know about your website!

Awesome, I hope all goes well!

Tang Soo!!

b

I'll be going to the camp with Master B and Mr.Craig Ferrero

Well,

Summer Camp has ended, I wish I could have gone to these things before, It was a blast. The Abbey was great, It was picturesque and peaceful the Food was great, the Clinics by Our Kodanja were exellent, Kwan Jhang Nim's Clinic on Sword was just what I needed. Master Penfil delivered the goods with his applications of Hyung clinic, he showed his deep knowledge and love of the art, I did hear Jason took a beating during his clinic, he was the uki alot I guess
Meeting Grand Master C.I. Kim was a great honor, he is one of the Legends of Korean Martial Arts, I feel fortunate to have been able to talk to him.

The whole experience was one I can honestly recommend .
I enjoyed the whole atmosphere of the summer camp, very friendly and hospitable, everyone was there to learn and share, can't wait till next year!
oh yea, those hard core Texans, had Master Penfil up till almost three am, going thru applications thats what I can living the art!

Tang Soo!
B

I would like to take a moment thank all of the members who participated in this years TSDMGK Summer Training Camp. On behalf of my instructor, Chung Il Kim, KJN and I, we had an awesome time with everyone. I have not seen Kim, KJN so alive in a very long time and I am so very grateful to Ferraro, KJN for inviting us, and allowing us to train with all of you.

His hard work over the years in building this great association was evident in every member present, from the 2 white belts all the way up and through the ranks to all of the Kodanja. It was by far, the best camp I have been to too date!!!

I received a beautiful email from Jason this morning to thank me for the time that I had spent with him (He didn’t mention any bruises). I explained to him, as I will explain to you here; it is me that thanks you for being there to work with. So often, we find ourselves with seniors that want to be up on a pedestal to show off. Without students, we are nothing, regardless of rank or station.

From the time we got off of our planes till the time we were dropped off at the airport, we were treated with honor and respect, (not to mention 2 lobster’s at dinner on Saturday evening). We will do all that we can to continue this wonderful relationship with the Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan Association and its members.

A most sincere and heartfelt thanks to Ferraro, KJN for everything!!!

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil
TANG SOO!!!

Hello Master Penfil,

Great clinic, you really did a great job, even though it was only an Hr and not three, I hope to catch one of your three Hr ones though.

It was a special thing to me to finally meet you after talking on the net for a while, We seldom get to meet the people we talk with on the web, it is nice to see that you are as courteous and knowledgeable in person as on the web.
I hope to see you and Kwan Jhang Nim Kim at more of our events. I could have kept questions up till the late hrs, but I did not want to monopolize the time and was waiting for others to ask questions, haha, I saw many of the Masters look at me like what no questions?, I did not want to pepper GM Kim with questions, maybe next time we have you here I will . If you have any seminars planned near here in the future let me know,!!!

TAng Soo!

b

Bernard,
I was truly excited to finally meet you. When Kim, KJN and were taken to the dorm and you were there with your students, the first question that I had (not having seen you off to my right) was; id Bernard here yet? When you answered, I was very happy to finally meet you. The time spent was great.

Both Kim, KJN and I will be at National’s, and I spoke to Ferraro, KJN about my attending Kodanja in January. I intend to be involved with the TSDMGK Assoc. when ever possible.

Ferraro, KJN has, along with all of the Kodanja and junior members established and maintained on a very high level, a great association. We are happy to be invited to take part, and will support Ferraro, KJN when ever possible.

I will speak with McGinnis, SBN about coming to your dojang to do a seminar there. I will be traveling on 2 to 3 weekends per month over the next year doing seminars. I will keep you posted as to locations and dates.

On behalf of Kim, KJN and I, thank you for helping make our first camp such a great event!!!

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

Penfil isn't teaching TSD he is teaching Japanese Karate wrapped in TSD.
Thank God you TSD people are learning what a fraud your art really is. You stole from Japane - called in Chinese and now are learning the truth.If Penfil can convert the world then we can finally get rid of the ******* art known as TSD.

Jim

Martial Art Style TSD

Penfil isn't teaching TSD he is teaching Japanese Karate wrapped in TSD.
Thank God you TSD people are learning what a fraud your art really is. You stole from Japane - called in Chinese and now are learning the truth.If Penfil can convert the world then we can finally get rid of the ******* art known as TSD.

Jim
Martial Art Style TSD

James Linger,

Who are you?

Where are you from?

What system do you train in?

Your posting slams Tang Soo Do, but your signature states that you are a Tang Soo Do practitioner. I’m confused…

I’m not teaching Japanese Karate wrapped in Tang Soo Do. I’m teaching Okinawan Karate wrapped in Tang Soo Do, just like Hwang Kee did. As I have stated in many of my prior postings, and everyone that has studied any true history on our original 15 hyung/kata that Hwang originally incorporated Tang Soo Do with knows; they all originated in the Shorin-Ryu and the Shori-Te schools of Okinawa.

This isn’t a secret, and with few, if any exceptions, every Tang Soo Do practitioner on this discussion board is aware of this.

I can’t tell you why Hwang Kee chose to make up the history depicting him as mixing 30% Northern Chinese, 10% Southern Chinese and 60% Soo Bahk Do to make Tang Soo Do, and leaving out the part about finding the book, “Karate-Jutsu”, by Funakoshi Gichin in 1922 in the library of the Korean train station where he was employed, and learning and teaching himself the hyung/kata from the book. I do see all of the Chinese influence in the Chil Sung and Yuk Ro Hyung.

I did have the opportunity to train with Hwang Kee, and I had the opportunity to share a couple of brief conversations with him in May, 1984 when he came to the dojang of Chung Il Kim, KJN to teach un Chil Sung Sa Lo Hyung, and again in November, 1895 at the U.S. Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation National Championship, through his interpreter. He was a kind and humble man who had, over many decades honed and developed a system that may have been originally taken from Okinawan Karate, but transitioned in to what is now known as Soo Bahk Do.

We may never know the truthful answer to this question, but it is now 2005, and time to give credit where credit is due. I teach Bunkai, Henka and Oyo as they pertain to hyung/kata to anyone that wants to learn, as I believe that no person or organization can “OWN” knowledge, and when you keep knowledge to yourself that has great value and can benefit all who take part in the learning thereof, it’s a good thing.

I don’t care what organization, federation or association you belong to. I don’t care what system or style of martial art you train in. What I teach works for any style/system, regardless of affiliation and everyone is welcome to contact me on the discussion board or directly through me email or cell phone.

Jim, please do contact me. I am interested in speaking with you directly…

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil
248-561-5700-cell
jaypenfil@sbcglobal.net

Jim Linger,

I don't know , maybe I'm just cynical this morning, but a quick track and I follow you to Pittsburg PA, and I wonder to myself, who else do I know who is a Tang Soo Do guy and is torn about the history of our art and lives around pittsburg, hmmmmm, could this really be Dave Doty??AS I recall Dave also made the japanese comment when it is okinawan, hmmmm

b