Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wol Do, Kwan Dao, Pu Dao, horse leg cutter

Does anyone use the Pu Dao, or the Kwan Dao,or any of the other chinese pole arm weapons? if so could post the form you do? or e-mail me, I am interested in more forms for these weapons.

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Wol Do, Kwan Dao, Pu Dao, horse leg cutter

Mr. Redfield,

I emailed you about the Kwan Dao form I am familiar with. I sent the e-mail this past weekend. Did you ever receive it?

Respectfully,
Patrick K.

Patrick,

No I did not receive it. My filter may have grabed it, what was the subject line? also if you could resend it I will be on the lookout. bredfield@snet.net

b

Found it. It was in the junk mail bin for some reason.

Anyway, I know two long Kwan Dao forms, I have done well in tournaments with them both. I may put one on my website so the picture on the front page will be the movie, but I'm not sure how yet. do you have the forms down on paper?

b

Re: Re: Wol Do, Kwan Dao, Pu Dao, horse leg cutter

Mr. Redfield,

I have learned one form. I am in the process of learning a second form, and a friend of mine has a third form. I do not have any written down on paper. Although, a friend of mine video taped me doing part of the first form I learned. I understand that it was recorded in MPEG format. I will see if I can get my hands on the MPEG. Unfortunately, I have not transcribed the forms as of yet. This is partly due to my schedule, and the fact that I am transcribing other weapons forms at the moment.

I wonder if one of the Kwan Dao/Wol Do forms you have learned is one of the same ones I am familiar with?!?! If you don't mind, perhaps we can continue this conversation via e-mail.

I look forward to continuing our correspondence with one another.

In case, I do not hear back from you. Happy Thanksgiving!

Respectfully,
Patrick K.

P.S. I will send this message to your e-mail address as well.

Hi Bernard,
I am not familiar with these names, but my training partner or 30 years, Sifu Bruce Silver, teaches Wing Chun and is a direct disciple of Ip Ching, Yip Man's second son.

They have a pole form that I started to learn, but have not completed yet. The pole that they use is 9 feet long. The first 6 feet of the pole is 1 1/2 inches in diameter and the end 3 foot section tapers down to 1 inch.

Does this sound like the pole that you are talking about? I can ask Bruce if he has the form on tape to send to you.

This form is more for conditioning then combat application. If you see Bruce's forearms and traps you will understand what I am talking about. His forearms resemble Popeye's after he has had his spinach.

He will probably come to Connecticut with me later in the year to meet KJN Ferraro. If he does, we will all get together for some good training.

I would like to wish you, your family and all of our Martial community a Happy and Healthy Thanks Giving!!!

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Hi Master Penfil,

These are all pole arms or long weapons of different design, some examples are here: http://www.wle.com//store/w_long.html

Hope to see you when you come to CT.

Happy thanks giving!!

Tang Soo

b

Thank you Bernard. I'll check out this site and get back with you.

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

My new Kwan Dao just arrived! I'm not allowed to open the box till Christmas though
It's the 9 Ring Kwan Dao, It has a longer thinner blade, instead of the saw edge and tooth like the Dragon blade, it has 9 Rings to catch/slow down a blade and to distract with the sound.Darn can't wait till Christmas LOL

b