Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chaperon for away tournaments

OK,

If I am to chaperon a group of 11 to 14yr olds, at an away tournament, what do I have to watch for and what do I do with them during free time???

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Chaperon for away tournaments

I would suggest the use of a tranq gun but parents tend to get all fussy about that for some reason.

A tranq gun would work fine, haha!
I would think that as long as the place has a pool and a game room, they will be fine. LOL
maybe if it is near a mini golf course that would be fun too.

b

That can be tricky. If their are female students I try to get a female parent to chaparone or help.

Mostly though with that age group there is not too many problems. They are old enough to be somewhat reliant, but not old enough most of the time to get into any serious trouble.

What gives me the most trouble is making sure everyone is in their own rooms for the night. Like I said, what works best for me is a reliable female adult Chaperone to help out with the young ladies.

When it is just boys, I don't have as much of a problem. If I were a female instructor, I suspect it might be the other way around.

In any event, I find the more parents I can get to attend and help out the better it is for me. If that is not possible, there is always prayer :)

Free time??? You have free time...that is your first mistake! Just joking, but my trips and conversations usually go something like this....

1) We are leaving at exactly _____ hours.
2) We will be arriving in time to eat, then check in and sleep.
3) We will awake at 0730 hours and arrive at the Tournament site at 0830 hours, after a quick breakfast.
4) We will win all the trophies.
5) We will spend 30 minutes loading the trophies. (It takes 5 minutes for one adult but several 11 to 14 year olds under my excellent supervision can do it in 30...I blame the kids...but secretly I know it is my supervision causing the problem..shhhhh... :)
6) We will return home.
7) That is all :)

You know the saying about idle hands :) Seriously, I never seem to have time to do more than this...controlling them at the Tournament during the inactive times is the problem for me.