Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Master Myung Seo Seok

Hello can anyboy tell me more about
Master Myung Seo Seok it seems he is "lost" ??

Martial Art Style TSD

Re: Master Myung Seo Seok

Not lost, relocated. I spoke with him a few months ago on the phone. He told me he was moving to Vegas, and wished me success and luck. I asked how I could get in touch with him, he said he is retired. Then said bye bye. My guess is he will resurface when he wants to do, if you really need to get a hold of him, let me know and I can see if someone can get a message to him. My uncle and he ironically have been pretty close friends over the years.

If you want to know details about him, I can tell you stories second hand or just stick to what I know first hand. He is very knowledgeable, but...hmmm...well extremely sure of himself and the purity and authenticity of the many hyungs he teaches. He teaches some 200 plus forms, I was honored to learn from him but a handful.

Jamie Yowell

Ps-Don't mention my name if you do get in contact him, he is not happy with me right now because I failed in my effort to help him move some of his remaining books. I am not sure he understands that I did all I could possible do given the constraints placed on me.

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Oh just to make sure we are speaking of the same Master...the Tang Soo Do Master I speak of is Myung Seok Seo until recently out of Waldorf Maryland.

Re: Re: Master Myung Seo Seok

I spoke to him one time and asked him about Jae Joon Kim and C.I Kim two of the most senior Moo Duk Kwan members and Myung said he never heard of them. Tell me how is that possible if your a Moo Duk Kwan Tang Soo Do memeber and you don't know your seniors? I believe he was really a Chung Do Kwan memeber regardless of what was printed in his book about being Soo Balk Do first.

Joe

Re: Re: Re: Master Myung Seo Seok

Well...that would certainly explain a lot.

JH

Re: Re: Re: Re: Master Myung Seo Seok

For more info, you might contact:

http://www.mtsdi.com/

Master Miller. He was in Master Seo's book.

JH

I learned forms under him for a couple of years and obviously spoke with him rather frequently. He is a bit of an enigma to me in many ways as well but he once told me he had a falling out some years ago is my understanding with some Moo Da Kwan members or perhaps Moo Da Kwan as a whole. He never elaborated, but if you want the scoop Master Miller or Master Gunnell might have a lot more details as they have studied under him a great many years.

With me he tended not to acknowledge people that he had a falling out with. One master whom I know he knew of he once he also told me he did not know him or of him and to not talk about him (in the Dojang), yet on another occasion (in an informal setting at my Uncle's dinner table) he told me of him and eluded that he did not agree with his view of Tang Soo Do.

My advice would be to be careful in the judging until you know the individual. In his case, quite frankly it would never have mattered to me who he knew or did not know, where he originated from...but this is because he displayed his intimate knowledge to me weekly either himself or through his senior black belt student he was responsible for teaching me most of the forms before Master Myung looked them over. On this note, I had been a black belt at this point for at least 15 years and met many fine martial artists, but Master Myung definitely ranks among the more knowledgeable.

He is very set in his ways and very sure of himself. I have found easily offended. But, he knows his stuff.

Jamie

Re: Re: Master Myung Seo Seok

Hmmmmmm. A Korean master that is easily offended.

What are the odds?!

JH

Re: Re: Re: Master Myung Seo Seok

Greetings: Grandmaster Myung Seok Seo is of the Moo Duk kwan family. The forms he taught were from Moo Duk kwan and Kwon Bup.He studied the two arts and combined them into what he called, the International Tang Soo Do Moo Duck Howi. He confirms his Dan rankings from the Int. Soo Bahk Do Assoc from Supreme Grandmaster Hwang kee, Grandmaster Won Kook Lee and Grandmaster Kang Uk Lee. In fact, Grandmaster Kang Uk Lee lists Grandmaster Seo in his book(Ultimate Guide to Tang soo Do)in the Moo Duk Kwan family tree.
I don't seem to remember the gentlemen who states he trained with Grandmaster Seo. I was with him from 1994.I along with some of his students had dinner with him a week or so before he moved to Neveda. His words of wisdom were always" more practice". At his good bye, he stated, "more practice"

He was a excellent Martial art teacher who will be missed by many.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Master Myung Seo Seok

"Grandmaster Kang Uk Lee lists Grandmaster Seo in his book(Ultimate Guide to Tang soo Do)in the Moo Duk Kwan family tree."

What page is that on? I can't find it, thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Master Myung Seo Seok

Greetings: In the contents(page 3) it points to the Moo Duk Kwan Family Tree on page 14. pages 14 and 15 show the family tree. Grandmaster Myung is listed on page 15. If you look at page 14 top right of page you will find Grandmaster Jae jun kim Dan#38. Then look to the right 2 grandmasters(Han Young Tae)then follow the lineage down, you will find Seo Myung Sok(usa). I trust this will clear up any confusion.

Tang Soo for Life!

Martial Art Style Tang soo Do

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Master Myung Seo Seok

Thank you sir, I found it.