Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SIP SOO

What is the History of the for SipSoo???

thanx in advance

Re: SIP SOO

I have this written down and I know somewhere I have more, but I'll have to look for it. maybe somwone else can elaborate more??

Jitte / Sip Soo (ten hands)

The kata Jitte means "ten hands" and implies that one who has mastered it has the effectiveness of ten men. From this kata many defenses against weapon attacks, particularly stick attacks, can be learned. To block strongly, various important points found in earlier kata, such as Pinan Sandan, must be learned.

Jiin(temple ground)

The Jiin kata along with Jitte (Jutte) and Jion are classified as Shuri-Te kata though historically they may have originated with the Tomari-Te system and Matsumura. One technique common to all three of these kata is the palm heel for blocking. All three of these kata were perpetuated by the Shuri-Te system, primarily by Itosu. The Jiin kata is translated to "temple ground".

Jion(temple sound)

The Jion kata means "temple sound" and the Jion character has appeared frequently in Chinese literature since ancient times. The Jion-ji is a famous Buddhist temple and there is also a well-known Buddhist saint named Jion. The name suggests that the kata was introduced by someone from the Jion Temple.

Tang Soo!
b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Re: SIP SOO

I have a little different take on this form. It is MY contention the form is an Okinawan version of "Tiger Crane" form that was developed and popularized by the Hung Gar school in China. This seems obvious to me when I look at the form....and the inordinate amount of similarities to techniques from the "Tiger Crane set of Hung Gar". There are other clues. Ever hear of the 'Ten Tigers of Canton'? Look them up in Hung Gar history.

JH

What about Sokon Matsumura being the originater of the okinawan version??

I have no doubt. What I'm stating is that it is based upon the Tiger Crane style.

JH

That rings true from what I have read about him.

Bernard...any anyone else out there interested in our Okinawan roots....a must read is "Shotokan's Secret". Look it up at Amazon.com. I can't say enough good things about this book. I'm very impressed with the author's historical research and hypothesis. One of the neatest things about the book is you will get to see a picture of a young Matsumura (proabably the only lithograph of him) and a very young Itosu. Priceless.

JH

Thank you JH , I will check it out!!

b

Hey Bernard,

"The kata Jitte means "ten hands" and implies that one who has mastered it has the effectiveness of ten men."

Um... 10 hands - that would give you the effectiveness of "5" men, not 10

Of course, it could be the effectiveness of 10 one handed men....

I hope that this reply finds you well.
Please excuse my tone but are not ten hands owned by 5 men ?
A bear may be as strong as 5 men hence the icon.
One never acheives the strength of 5 men, rather attempts to do the work of 5 men.
Kind regards.

Martial Art Style TSD,MDK

Re: Re: Re: SIP SOO

Yes...but the real question is...."Does a bear really use Charmin bathroom tissue?"

JH

Re: Re: Re: Re: SIP SOO

I thought everyone knew of the symbiotic relationship between Bears and Rabbits!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: SIP SOO

I have a 'native american loin cloth' made out of rabbit fur. I got asked, "Where's the Rabbit's foot?"

To which I replied: "It's under the flap. You want to rub it for good luck?"

JH

Thanks JH it was a good read.

b

WHAT SIDE DO YOU TURN TO FOR SIPSOO?

Martial Art Style KARATE

Kevin,

I am not quite sure what you mean. If you are referring to the opening move? hand wrapped around fist, twist body to right? then step back left leg, right hand turns palm up, like holding a plate from underneath? is that the part you mean??

b

When goin up the center line of SipSoo do you do a stomping kick and swing the arms with fists or open like a eagle claw? or I guess it would be bear paw?

thanx in advance
kevin

I believe Master Hancock may do the form in that way also, we do it closed fist, I do prefer the stomping kick to just the 180 turns as I can ad more twist to the hips with it, but that is just my 2 cents

tang Soo
b

The three palm strikes up the middle have been interpreted many ways from what I've seen. We do knife hand strikes to the neck with a slight pull towards and inside our body to block a punch after the strike. ANother version has an outside directional parry after a palm strike. Sip Soo (or Ship Soo or Jitte) has been tinkered with !often!.

I've seen a white crane version of this, and I would have to agree that there is a huge correlation. White Crane is probably our closes kung-fu relative.

I'm not so sure about the book Shotokan's Secret, since many of these forms have precursors that were not involved with the Shuri-castle.... But it is indeed intriquing.

I thought the Shuri Castle Defense was an interesting excersize, and the historical facts used from the journals of the Americans was a nice touch.

b