Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Shotokan's Secret

Shotokan's secret,

Just came in the mail today,I skimmed thru it for 1/2hr, it is going to be a good read, thanks for the heads up JH, I did see the reviews and some Okinawan stylists like most of the book but mentioned some parts are flights of fancy or just plain wrong:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/0897501446/ref=cm_cr_dp_pt/102-4507537-9388134?%5Fencoding=UTF8&n=507846&s=books

I like the history on the okinawan masters and the old litho plates in the book.

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Shotokan's Secret

Yes...there is a good section of the book that is 'speculation'...but the AUTHOR tells you that going in...and WHY he is doing it. So it is my take that the pundits are seeking reasons to give negatives about the book and overlook the fact the author has explained his approach and position as a result of much research. I've read the whole book....and I think the man obviously has had an epithpany that we can all benefit from.

JH

What I like most about the book is the stories about the old Masters and the history of okinawa explained. the Shuri Crucible is interesting but I found the parts about Admiral Perry to be more interesting. Also since Matsumura was a sword master I would think he was also training his body guards in the caves under the Shuri Castle in the sword art as well.

b

Greetings to all,
This book was introduced to me by my Shotokan instructor last year. All who have read it that I know found it to be one for the "Must Read" list.

JH,
Give me a call when you get a chance...

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay s. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!