Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Meikyo

Ameratsu the Sun Goddess, lost her mirror, in her sorrow she hid herself away,and the world was cast into darkness from her dispair.The other Gods decided to send a great warrior to her to do a "war dance" to entertain her. She heard the commotion and came out to see what it was. It is said he was performing Meikyo or as it used to be called Rohai.

This is a great story, and the Japanese say they knew Meikyo long before Gichin Funikoshi came to Japan, and taught Rohai, hmmm what do you think?
I had thought that it was Yasutsune Itosu (1830-1915) or Master Idos as in TSD vol 1 who had created it, but could it have been taken from other older sets and refined by Itosu? could someone have used it to placate a sorrowful Goddess to return the sun to the sky?

What version of this form do we in TSD do ? there are many versions can you name them all?

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Meikyo

Do you agree that Meikyo was created by Funikoshi by taking the 3 Itosu Rohai and distilling them to form Meikyo?

Out of the Rohai forms, Matsumura Rohai/ Itosu Rohai(3) the form that most closley resembles TSD Rohai is Matsumura's, agreed??
what of ****o Ryu's Rohai?

Re: Re: Meikyo

try this link :

www.bushido-kai.net/budoya/img/Meikyo-ItosuRohai-1-2-3.pdf

passingbye,

You should try using cut and paste, LOL, I figured it out though, you had a - where it didn't belong, so this is the link,
http://www.bushido-kai.net/budoya/img/Meikyo-ItosuRohai1-2-3.pdf

I will also download this one and check it out, great references, thanks!

b

Tsd does not do the Meikyo form. We do the Lohai Hyung...which is the Matsumura version of Rohai.

JH

Re: Re: Meikyo

Yup,

I only used Meikyo for comparision,+I liked the story LOL, Meikyo looks nothing like the TSD Rohai which is taken from the Matsumura version, While Meikyo was created from the three Itosu Rohai

b