Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Message Board Etiquette

I have to say for the most part, people who post on this board have shown great respect for me and each other, for that I thank you.

I do frequent other boards and I just don't want to post anymore, unless I really wan to find out a peice of info. Why? well look around some of these boards that used to be great places to get info,and still are, but you have to put up with so many JackAss people, who basically will make an inocuous looking post, but have really posted to impune someones character or undercut that persons contributions, under the guise of asking a question or only looking for the truth, when if you have been following these peoples posts over the years you can see all they do is use the web as a means to attack their seniors or peers, and try to cut them down, they have no clue how juvinal they sound. To me they come off like spoiled little children.I think you should speak on the web to people with the respect you would wish extended to you, or if you are addressing a senior or very senior dan you should accord them the respect you would if you were in a dojang. The people who are now upset with my belief, are the same ones who hid behind their keyboard and attack everyone who threatens there little world, and say, ohhh this is the internet and the rules are different we can ask the tough questions and demand answers and blah blah blah, all they are doing is justifying being nasty little brats who never got the spanking they deserved.

MY opinion. and you guys know who you are.

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Message Board Etiquette

?????

What brought that on?

JH

Hey JH,
I was bouncing thru the boards and just noticed an overall lack of respect for each other, and I was in a mood to vent for a change. LOL

b

Well Bernard, you are probably right on the mark. I have been involved in the Martial Arts World for about 28 or 29 years of my life and one thing I have discovered is that we are a really small community in many ways, at least small in the regards that very few people make a life long committment to Martial Arts.

Being a small community, what you say eventually will come back to you. The guy you are flaming today, or attempting to undercut to enhance yourself, may just be the guy you meet at an event later or worse a guy that might have been a great friend and ally, but now resents you or treats you with the same contempt you demonstrated for him on some internet bulletin board. I use you in the general sense not in the specific.

I know over the years, I have said many things I wish to take back, but I found once said I can't and it took a very long time for those I insulted to forgive, if ever. It is a shame to lose a potential good friend in this manner.

Recently on a board, I had someone cast doubts on whether I studied with a particular instructor. It was hard not to respond and air dirty laundry publicly, but I chose instead to contact the person personally and clarify the matter. I would have greatly appreciated a retraction after he privately acknowledged he was in error. But, over the years I too have learned that sometimes even when on the recieving end it is better to let it go, this gentleman I speak of is not a terrible guy, in fact I have heard great things about him and he still has my respect and I hope that one day we can be friends and train together. But, just the way things are in the back of my mind I will always remember two things, one he attempted to impugn me publicly without cause or end and two while he acknowledged his possible error in private he never did so publicly in the same forum I felt he "attacked" me in.

I reckon the moral of the story is to try not to say anything that you would not say in the presence of the person you are responding to. While not perfect, I try to adhere to this principal.

Jamie

Jamie,

That's it in a nutshell,

All corespondance should be done as if you were on the Dojang floor. period

Or as my Grandfather used to say, if you could not say it in front of your Grandmother, don't.

b

Re: Re: Message Board Etiquette

In a perfect world that's the way it would be done. Isn't martial arts supposed to be a brotherhood of sorts? I think so. I consider martial arts (speaking of the good ones) to be a group willing to sacrifice personal time to train. I admit myself that their are many times I don't want to hang out with other freinds because I would rather go to train at the school(s) I'm apart of because "hanging out" with those who don't study martial arts won't do me any good. Off the top of my head I can say all of my close freinds are those who study martial arts.

No wonder I'm still single! Ha!

For example Master Penfill who posts here often is a great example of one who conducts himself the right way.

Seriously though one should conduct themselves on boards as if you're in person.....like I said only in a perfect world......

Re: Re: Re: Message Board Etiquette

"Seriously though one should conduct themselves on boards as if you're in person....."

Yes...but the scary part is......

.....I do.

Think about that.

JH

Bernard,
As always, you have brought up a serious, and relevant issue. Yours was the first discussion board that I learned about and got involved with. It is the manner in which you conduct yourself that dictates the quality of the postings on this discussion board, and that is why I continue to post here. I have been on at least 10 other discussion boards in the last year and have seen the kind of postings that you are in refrence to. I don't post on many of them anymore, as I, like you, don't want to be involved with that ilk.

Jason, Thank you for you comment regarding me. It is always my hope that my postings can be a benefit to those that read them, and I have enjoyed the responses that you have given me, both on the discussion boards as well as in our phone conversations. Thank you...

JH,
Yes...but the scary part is......
.....I do.

It's only scary if you are doing something wrongfull that you KNOW is wrongfull, and continue to do so without regard for others. I have come to know you this past year on a personal level. I know that behind the fasad that you present in your postings is a kind, gentle lovable teadybear of a guy that only hopes for the best for everyone, and that you would never hurt anyone intentionally...

I will continue to post here because of the quality of those who who I have met and established G R E A T relationbships with. I appreciate all of you, and look forward to see and training with you soon.

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S.Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Master Penfil,

Thank you for your kind words, I only hope I can live up to them.

JH, a cuddly teddy bear? hmmm maybe more like Ludo from Labyrinth remember the old David Bowie kids movie? LOL

Master Jay S.Penfil

Who is your Master, your seniors or those that you look up to?

Who would you would you most like to learn from and why?

Any one style or art?

Your input would really help.

Thank You Sir,
Jim

Funny. My girlfriend says I'm here big teddy bear.

Then again....she's a bunny.

And here's the video:

http://www.killsometime.com/video/video.asp?ID=49

JH

Hi Jim,
This is not an answer that I can answer in one posting, as I have trained with so many G R E A T instructors, in so many system/arts over the year, and have the desire to train with so many others... WOW, where should I start?

My instructor in Tang Soo Do, and the man who I refer to as; my Father in Tang Soo Do is Grandmaster Chung Il Kim. I have been his faithful student since November, 1983. I became his student after joining the U.S. Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan Federation. I had already earned 2nd dan in another Tang Soo Do organization, and had studies Shotokan and Isshinryu prior to training in Tang Soo Do.

I have found Grandmaster Chung Il Kim to be the very best of all of the instructors that I have met with, and have been told by EVERY senior ranking grandmaster, including J.C. Shin and C.S. Kim, Andrew Ah Po and Charles Ferraro that Grandmaster Chung Il Kim is without question the most skilled and most highly respected of ALL of the Korean master to ever come up the ranks in the Moo Duk Kwan.

I have been truely blessed to be his student for the past 23 years, and will be his student for as long as I continue to train. It's been over 33 years so far, and I don't see myself quiting any time soon...

I just spent the weekend in Arizona teaching a seminar with Grangmaster Ah Po for Grandmaster Khalid and Master Dillard and their members. I may have been one of the presenting instructors of the weekend, but I beleive that thanks to the participation of Grandmaster Ah Po, I was like a beginner again (and that is a good thing).

Having the benefit of interacting with an instructor on Grandmaster Ah Po's level is as awesome as it can get. To have Grandmaster Ah Po right there to watch me teach, and then take the time to sit down with me and discuss my presentation and critique it in ways that opened my eyes to ways that I can improve what I am doing, and shape me and make me more efficient as an instructor was priceless. What a great time we had, and to be able to participate in 8 hours of his seminar, and receive information that I have never received from any other instructor in any system that I have studied just took the whole experience to an even higher level.

Those who know me know that I could continue to type away at this keyboard for a very long time on this subject.

Jim, please give me a little help here in refining your questions, as to how my answers will be beneficial to you. This will help me tailor my answer to a much shorter version that will get right to the point, and be easier on those reading it...

Also, please give me some information as to your background so I may know about you as well.

If you don't wish to be identified here on the discussion board, please email me directly. I will keep your information private if you wish.

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

JH,
That was toooooooooooo funny, and right on time with what I stated...

By the way, does your bunny have a sister for me???

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

What is this talk about being single and bunnies having sisters? Is this match.com?

BTW, Mr. Redfield, I am back in the country! So I hope to see you soon at the Dojang.

Hi Master Jay S. Penfil,

Thank you Sir for responding to my questions. I was just curious about your insight and thoughts about today’s instructors. I have read a few of your messages and wondered about who was your Master Instructor and seniors in your organization and whether or not I have heard of them.

I’m just a beginner and your input will help me to find someone associated with or a student of Grand Master Kim. I’m from southern California in a town called Chino Hills.

Thank You
Jim

Master Jay S. Penfil,

Sir, I forgot to add these questions to the others, what one technique, self defense, jump kick, sparring technique, weapon or form would you want to learn after many years in the art? What would be most important for a 7th Dan Master?

Thank you,
Jim

Hi Melanie,
I must apologize for the bunny-sister thing...
The video clip that JH posted was tooooooo funny to pass up.

Welcome back in the country!!!

Did we get to meet at the 2005 Summer Training Camp, or the 2005 International tournament?

I like being able to put a face to a name, and I met so many great people at these events that it was hard to remember everyone’s name.

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Dear Master Penfil,
thank you for the welcome back! I don't think we have met yet! I am only with Stamford Martial Arts since last spring and I received my green belt in Chile in July. Due to being in Chile I missed this year's summer camp and the Nationals.

The next tournament for me is the one in Hudson Valley. Any chance you will be there?

Tang Soo de Corazon
Melanie

Hey Melonie,

I will be going to Master Antonelli's tournament, maybe we can get a group to go up in the van again?

b

great idea! we should try to get a group from the dojang to go!

Hi Melanie,
Welcome to Tang Soo Do, and martial arts in general. You have chosen a
G R E A T place to make your home. Master John McGuiness III is an excellent instructor, and as a member of the TSDMGK, you couldn't do better.

If you send me the information for the tournament I will see if I can fit it in to my schedule.

If you have a flyer that you can email me, I will appreciate it.

Please give Master McGuiness my regards.

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

jaypenfil@sbcglobal.net

TANG SOO!!!

Could anyone give me information about Master Antonelli's or the Hudson Valley tournaments? I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Joe

Martial Art Style Tang soo do

Dear Master Penfil,
I have posted some information on Master Antonelli's tournament above. I don't really have much information myself. Sorry.

I am very happy to have Master MacGuinness as my teacher. I am so glad that I found his Dojang.
Funny how things go, with me having to come all the way from Germany to find Tang Soo Do and then being so lucky to end up at Stamford Martial Arts.

Tang Soo de Corazon
Melanie

Melanie,

Where in Germany are you from.
While I was in the army I was stationed in Bayreuth and Bindlach, along the east/west Germany/ Czech borders. I loved Germany and hope to take my Wife and Son back there some day to visit the areas I used to patrol, see what it is like now.

JVoss

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do / Hae Dong Gumdo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Message Board Etiquette

Dear Mr. Voss,
I am from Hamburg! The most beautiful town in Germany
It is rather far away from Bayreuth but very pretty and worth a visit!

Jim,
I am sorry that it took me so long to get back to you on your question about any of Grandmaster Kim's students that might be in your area...

We do have an instructor in California. He is Grandmaster Kim's most senior student. His name is Master Henry Murphy. I don't have his address with me at this moment. Please call me when you have a moment. I would like to discuss your question rather then type back & forth...

My cell is 248-561-5700

I will look forward to hearing from you soon...

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!