Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
new to karate, and....

I started a few weeks ago, and I'm learing the roundhouse kick. I also did the outisde to inside and inside to outside cresant kicks....and it seems like a roundhouse kick is like them or something. I have trouble with the roundhouse kick, and can't seem to do it just right...

Martial Art Style tang soo do

Re: new to karate, and....

It is because you just started a few weeks ago that you are having trouble. Martial Arts is wonderful! It is fantastic! Stick with it and you will see what I mean, you will get to doing those kicks and it will seem like you are floating on air.

That is the good news.

The bad news, is Martial Arts practice requires thousands upon thousands of repetition to train the body and the mind to work together. It requires much learning in regards to the mechanics. For many it requires conditioning of the muscles to perform the techniques.

Remember, you are doing things you have never done before, it takes time. A round house kick, is very different from a crescent kick, the muscles are different, the mechanics are completely different and as you understand those differences by listening to your instructor and practicing the round house kick will become easier and easier and easier.

I would talk you through it, but what would be best for you is to ask your instructor and see if he will take you through it piece by piece, then go home and practice.

Most important thing I tell my students, the Dojang (School) is not the place for practicing Martial Arts. That is home where you should practice, the Dojang is the place to learn. Especially if you are paying money, think about it...learn what you need to work on and then go home and practice, practice and practice some more. Eventually, you will throw kicks and punches without thinking about the mechanics at all.

Congratulations, and welcome to the Martial Arts Family.

Jamie

Akemi,

I think you can work on the round house kick at home doing this drill , and it will work wonders for you, first get a foot stool or otoman or even a chair, but if it is a chair have it facing you so the chair back is away from you, take some cushions or pillows and stack them on the chair or whatever till they are a little below hip level or half way up your thigh. Now we will use left leg back for the drill. very slowly, Pick up your left leg knee up, like you were going to step up on a ladder, Pivot your right foot so the toes are now pointing to the right. slowly roll your left hip up and over so your left foot and shin are about horizontal and you knee is pointing towards the cushions (feel free to use a wall ,doorknob or broom handle for support at first) now extend your leg till your foot is fully extended over the cushions, then retract your leg, un roll your hip and put your leg back down behind you. practice that with support till you can do it , then try without support.

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Re: new to karate, and....

That's excellent advice Mr. Redfield. Although I am not even close to being an expert I would like to mention that stretching is sooo important. When I started training, it was difficult for me to turn my hip over the right way and is still a challenge for me. The butterflies and other stretching has helped a great deal along with patience

Jamie hit the nail on the head. You are just a beginner... It will get better with every class that you attend (if you practice at home between learning sessions with your instructor).

Most beginners think that they can go to class twice a week for 45 minutes or 1 hour and achieve something of value. Remember, you will always make gains, based on the investment that you make. In this case, the investment is not monetary, but in regard to the time that you are willing to invest in yourself.

Also keep in mind as you move up the ladder that you need to maintain short term goals to achieve long term goals. There are good reasons why there are 10 gup levels between white belt and black belt. You don’t have to look like a black belt at the level that you are currently at. You should always maintain a high level of integrity in your training, but don’t set unrealistic goals for yourself, or mentally beat yourself up if you can’t get it right the first time.

Study the movements of your instructor. Emulate what He/She does and step by step you will become all that you see before you. It’s kind of like Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz… “Follow the Yellow Brick Road”!!! When Dorothy first set out, the road appeared to be soooooooooo long, but she eventually got there, right?

Focus first on 9th gup, then 8th gup, then 7th gup, and so on and so on.

Please keep us up to date with how you are doing…

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Thank you very much! hehehe, you're all so nice. and yes, Tang Soo Do is VERY fun, I just am a bit uncoordinated I guess, and sensitive (I cried the first day. XD ) somehow I didn't quit, and it's getting less embarrassing. o_o;; I learned my first form, segiyanyubi (did I spell it right? o_o;;; it sounds like seh-gee-yawn-yoo-bee )

Congratulations on learning your first form!
What is the name of the organization your school is affiliated with?

b

Oh yes before I forget here is a cool link to your online name, incase you have not found it.

http://www.angelfire.com/anime5/bishojou_neo_scouts/akemi_tsukino_mini_shrine.htm

b

eh?! nuuuu. O_O I thought that was an original name. 'tis japanese. if I did it right, it should translate roughly to 'bright and beautiful of the moon' as for what my school's affiliated with...not sure. n_n;;; sorry

Re: Re: Re: new to karate, and....

Bernard ,

It sounded like Tsukino San was trying to say one of the Sae Kye Hyung's ; which are pacticed by the WTSDA , & Roger Haines's & KJN Parish's Nat'l TSD Fed .

David

Akemi ,

Ahhh, well that's some coincidence, but a cool name anyway, and you even have a cartoon to go with it. If you do not mind my asking how old are you? Just curious, people of all ages begin Tang Soo Do and I am nosey sometimes, but I guess that goes with running a message board, haha.

Dave,

That was also my first thought when I broke down the name, but you never know till...

b

I'm 16. n_n but I trick people a lot I guess, 'cause when I ask them to guess they are off by about three years. *cries* am I really that short? ;_; ._. ooh! I worked with the roundhouse kick, and it's getting easier...so is the sidekick

Hello,
I am also new to Karate. I was very happy when I came across this site tonight, I just had to say "Hello" and ask if if I may enter....
I started in Feb. of this year. I study Tang Soo Do under Master Dominick A. Giacobbe (Kwan Jang Nim)
I am now Gup-8th Orange.
I have to say starting Karate has been one of the best things I've ever done. I have never felt so good, so calm, so centered. I didn't plan it but the MA way seems to flow into every part of my life and that looks to be a good thing. Does this happen to everybody...?

Morgan

Martial Art Style Tan Soo Doo

Hi Morgan,

Yes you are most welcome to post on the board.
I have met Master G a few times, he is friends with my GM Charles Ferraro.
I have found that Karate has definately become an all encompassing factor in my life and wouldn't change it for a second. Feel free to ask any questions you want, and you are welcome to indtroduce others to come aboard.
Good luck in your training, fun times are ahead.
Tang Soo!

b

I am relatively new to Tang Soo Do. We train under Master Rexer and my son and I started in November of 2002 and we are currently Il-Gups. My wife also is involved and she is a 3rd gup testing for 2nd gup in November. Our youngest daughter is a 2nd gup. We have one other daughter who made it 8th gup but work, college and a boyfriend caused her to stop. We are all glad we started martial arts.

Re: Re: Re: new to karate, and....

hehehe, lovely. so many nice people here. i've been trying to work on my kicks, and I think I'm getting better. it is fun. good exercise!

RWalberger,

Congrats! wow the whole family is involved! great, maybe you guys could do a team form at a tournament one day! I would have been out to Master Rexers Tournament last week but I was working and couldn't get out there. Tell Master Rexer I say HI, Haven't seen him since GM Byrne's Tournament in spring.

Welcome to the board and good luck with your training!

b

Mr. Redfield,
It is fun that my whole family is involved in TSD. I have thought about doing a team form together. Sorry you couldn't make it down for Master Rexer's tournament but maybe next year. I know we are planning on going to Grandmaster Byrne's tournament next year. I will tell Master Rexer you said hi.

Tang Soo!!