Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What Belt are you most fond of?

I was reading some of the posts regarding those just starting the martial arts and it brought back a spell of nostalgia (sp) for me. I remember back in those days when everything was brand new. I just remember being excited all the time.

If you asked me then what belt would be the most significant to me or I would remember most fondly, I know I would have said BLACK, my first Black (Midnight Blue) belt!

However, looking back on it I really find that is not the belt I remember most fondly perhaps because it came with so much responsibility.

I found that my favorite ranks were actually 10th Gup white and First and Second Gup Red belts. I guess I loved the Red Belt because it was close to a goal I had long set years and years earlier (achieving my Black Belt), and all the years, blood, sweat, tears, missed football and basketball games, was on the verge of paying off with something exciting and new. Having that black belt in reach just gave me so much focus and purpose.

And of course the 10th White because everything was new and no matter what I did, I was doing pretty good and no one of course expected me to look good. Heh, my lazy side I guess...but as a 10th white I figured I might as well try anything since I was often doing everything wrong due to ignorance anyway :)

Any other Dan ranks have these fond memories or feelings about particular gup rankings or is it just me.

Jamie

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: What Belt are you most fond of?

That would be the....

....white belt.

I still have it.

JH

Re: What Belt are you most fond of?

That is awesome. I wish I would have kept my white belt, my first white belt that is. I started at 5 so I think it would be pretty cool, though I do have my first white belt that I got when I chose to study Tang Soo Do and left Tae Kwon Do.

Other than that I only have my red belt left.

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Re: What Belt are you most fond of?

I am most fond of the masters belt because it marks your hard and long acheivments over the years and to be one of the master would be a honour to all the tang soo do members and not just myself.

Martial Art Style world tang soo do

Re: Re: What Belt are you most fond of?

I still have all my belts. But I think the one that means so much to me is my TSD 6th gup green belt. I went through health and family issues with that belt, but still trained hard. And I noticed that my technique greatly improved while I was a green belt.

I do TKD now, but I do miss TSD. Out of my TKD belts, it would have to be my red belt (I've been at this rank for a year now). I've grown attached to it.