Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Who's on Board

Hi,

I asked this question on another board I frequent and it was quite an eye opener. So basically just give your screen name, your styles you have studied with ranks if applicable and associations you are with.This is really cool, it worked out that there were more styles and ranks represented than anyone knew about. So please lets try and see what happens.

I'll start though you prob already know.

3rd Dan- Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan Association
1st Dan - World Traditional Hapkido Federation
green belt- AAU Judo- Samurai Judo

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Who's on Board

JVoss

4th Gup Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan
7th Gup Hae Dong Gumdo

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do / Hae Dong Gumdo

Re: Re: Who's on Board

sorry,
Correction
6th Gup Haedong Gumdo

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do / Hae Dong Gumdo

James D. Yowell Jr.

4th Dan Tang Soo Do (American Fighting Arts Federation)

4th Gup Tae Kwon Do (I think the USKA (United States Karate Association) if it still exists I was last rated by them in the early 80s or late 70s) - Anywho, it is just a Gup, but figured I would add it as I was proud of it when I was younger, before I started over at white belt when I elected to switch to Tang Soo Do.

4th Dan in Tang Soo Do from GM Ho Sik Pak,
Advanced belt in Jeet Kune Do and Kali, from Chris Kent,
2nd Dan in Jeong Jin Kwan a variation of Tang Soo Do from GM Jeong Sook Lee.

2nd Dan in Jeong Jin Kwan a variation of Tang Soo Do from GM Jeong Sook Lee.

What makes Jeong Jin Kwan a variation? what forms do you do?

b

Master Lee made up 5 new forms and threw out the Pyung Ahn Forms, He called them Jeoung Jin Cho Dan up to Oh Dan. The forms were similar except he added kicks and even jump kicks in the form plus he Incorporated some boxing to the work outs, I guess at the time he was Pinklin Thomas's trainer. He called the federation the Universal Martial Arts Association and then he changed it to the World Jeong Jin Kwan Federation. In reality it was just Tang Soo Do with some boxing mixed in.

Is he the same Master Jeong Sook Lee from the movie "Shadow Dreams" 1996?

b

Yes it's him but no one has seen him in a long time.

1st dan TSDMGK, And hi to all. Sorry i've been so quite I've been working a lot of overtime and training for my 2nd dan testing in Apr. or May in Texas hope to see some of you all there..

Martial Art Style TSDMGK

1st Dan Taekwondo under Master Art St.Armand
1st Gup Red Belt TSDMGK under Master Dave Bankowski

Re: Re: Re: Who's on Board

@Jay

When are you testing for your black belt?

7th Dan-Tang Soo Do
International Association of Korean Martial Arts
Grand Master Chung Il Kim-President

1st Dan (Honorary)- Isshinryuy Karate
Grandmaster Willie Adams

1st Dan-Hakko-Ryu Ju Jutsu
Kaiden-Shihan Garner Train

Extensive training/No Rank:
Shotokan
Motobu-Ha S h i t o Ryu
Wing Chun Gung Fu
Tuite Jutsu
Kyusho Jitsu

Bernard,
This is good. I hope we can get everyone that follows the material on this board to sign in...

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

My rank isn't important. Either I know what I'm doing....or I don't. And the proof will always be in my word and deeds...no matter what I tie around my waist...or what 'title' I go by.

I've been doing martial arts for 27 years.
I've been teaching for 24 years.
I've been in Tang Soo Do for 21 years
(obviously...I didn't start out in Tangsoodo)

Today, I will claim a 5th Dan (seems to be enough to me for anyone. If you have more...I still will treat you the same and I won't hold it against you).

The title I prefer is "Teacher Hancock". You can say it in Korean if you like...and if you say it in Japanese or Chinese...I won't correct you in public.

JH

OH...yeah....I'm also the Emperor of Kentucky. You can refer to me as 'your Grace'.

That's a joke (clarification added just in case their is a liberal reading this).

Re: Re: Re: Who's on Board

Melanie

I'll test for my black belt in due time when Master Bankowski feels I'm ready. I bet I could test in April 06 but I feel the need to compete one more year as a 1st Gup and 2) to allow myself more time to fully prepare to make the transition to the next level in my TSD training. I don't believe in testing just for the sake of testing....you have to be fully ready for that next level whatever rank that must be.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's on Board

I think you are right in regards to testing for teh sake of it...

anyways...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's on Board

I started training in Judo when I was 5 yo , at the Norwalk, CT YMCA . That was in 1978 . I've trained in many styles since then , & w/ many people . I do hold a Sah Dan in TSD , however I like many others were fooled by a man that was a con artist , that made up a org that was supposedly recognized by the Korean Gov. , as the only recognized TSD organization. So , I should only claim my 3rd Dan from JJ Kim , KJN . Not only that I do not like the Master title , as well . I have started cross training back in the late 80's w/ a friend in Goju Ryu , & have gradually made a full switch over . I hold a Yon Dan under the late Nakasone Kinei , in The Okinawa Goju Ryu Seibukai . I have also trained in Kobudo , under Nakamoto Masahiro Sensei , who was a direct student under the late Taira Shinken , & Choshin Chibana Sensei . Some of the other Sensei I have trained w/ are Tony madamba , Shinzo Chinen , Morio Higaonna , & Hichiya Yoshio Sensei . I have also trained Batto Do ( A Japanese sword art) , for about 6 yrs , & hold a Sho Dan in Batto Do (Ryu Sei ken). The person I recieved my Sho Dan from in Goju Ryu , also held Dan Rank in Shotokan , & because I knew the TSD Hyung , learned the variations of Shotokan , I was also promoted in Shotokan , as well . A few yrs ago , me , & several friends formed a group called the Florida Budo Tomonokai , or martial way friend group . We just get together to train , share , & learn from eachother . Since doing so , I have been able to cross train in many other styles , as well; & more importantly make some new friends . Though , I no longer practice TSD , I am interested in it's history , as well , as the history , of all martial arts , in general . So , that is why I stick around here ; and if I can help out w/ a bit of Okinawan/Japanese history every once in a while I will .

David

One of these days when I am in FL with actual time on my hands, I will hook up with you for som fun. last two times I was down I had absolutly no free time.

b

No problem B , I look forward to it . Do you atleast get time to train w/ Dr.Park?

David

Master Art is talking about going down maybe beginning of next yr or when GM Park has his annual tournie, so we can meet with him and do a demo

b

Cool , sounds good , let me know when , & if it's open to people outside his org. , as well . I'd like to come ; & I havent seen Art SBN in yrs . He doesnt even remember me , but I remember him dowstairs in the Y .

David

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's on Board

Thank you very much!. My birthday was peace and quiet is all I really wanted.

Every rank is a new level. You've got to be ready for it. I'll get there in due time.