Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chil Sun Hyungs

Now that more and more Tang Soo Do organizations are doing the Chil Suns, I notice that they are going in different directions(Ryu Pah?) Some schools are doing Chil Sun Hyung very hard style like naihanji almost. Others I notice don't seem to breathe at all.I find it interesting how the different organizations are giving the ChilSun flavors, I wonder want they will look like in 20 yrs.

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Chil Sun Hyungs

very interesting,
Im wondering since they are the creation of hwang kee if this is do to lack of proper technique in regards to proper breathing, and timing of the hyung. Inhaling and exhailing then the burst of power. I believe they are becomming popular but who is teaching the hyungs? and where did they learn them from? The majority of people out there know only the first 3 if they are not not federation members. and they are shown in books, GM kang Uk lee's book has the first three. I have been working with Master varga who knows all seven, If done correctly they are a thing of beauty!
Its funny like the pyung ahn hyungs, when Itosu created them pyung ahn Ee dan was actually the first of the five with pyung ahn cho dan being the second. but do to its simplicity (pyung Ahn Cho Dan) the two forms were switched. The first Chil Sung, Chil Sung Il ro is far more advanced and has more technique then the second Chil sung Hyung (a pretty basic pattern). Will history repeat it'self? will chil sung Ee ro be one day placed as the first chil sung?
Interesting topic.
is the variations of the chil sung do to lack of understanding of the hyungs?

<<< Interesting topic.
is the variations of the chil sung do to lack of understanding of the hyungs?>>>>

I can see Chil Sun Ee Ro being swapped with Il Ro, that is how most people teach it anyway, was this a premeditated attempt to mirror what happened with the Pyong Ahn? or a coincidence?not for me to decide.

I think the variations coming about are do to different interpretation than lack of understanding.

b

Re: Re: Chil Sun Hyungs

I learned the first 4 from GM Ho Sik Pak and we were in the TSDMDK under Hwang Kee and then Pak left in the early 90's and started his own fed. As of now I'm leaning Chil Sung Oh Roh Hyung. GM Pak has 2 book's out with the first 5 Chil Sungs and we use a lot of breathing I personally really like the forms.

Martial Art Style TSD

Master David Rexer teaches the Chil Sun Hyungs at his school. I know the first 3.

I know Master Rexer has a cd available with the Chil Suns, I would love to get a copy, what is the mailing address or site with info?

b

Rexer's Karate Academy and Fitness Center
105 Washington Ave.
Endicott, New York 13760

I am working on a site for ordering.

Make check payable to Rexers?
and how much with S&H??

Thanks
b

How many of the Chil Sung Forms does Master Rexler have on his CD? I've been looking for # 6. but nobody seams to know it, or is readly to release it.

FYI Master Pat Leclerc of Hyde Park NY has a video series with the Chil Sung forms. his goes up to Chil Sung OH Ro. He can be contacted at www.leclercsmarticalarts.com

Martial Art Style TSD

Mr Redfield,
The DVD is $29.95 and shipping and handling is right aroung $5.00. If you like, you can call the school at 607-786-1266 and they will take care of you.

TSD,
Rick

I have found that nearly 3 out of 4 students coming into training do not understand how to breath properly.

They improperly suck in their gut on the inhale and push it out on the exhale.

Until they can learn proper diaphramatic breathing - most of the TSD you teach is wasted. If a person is not breathing in a form - you can be 99% sure they never breath properly - fix it and you will see amazing improvements in a short period of time.

By the way, I highly recommend Master Rexer's Chil Sung tapes. The proper breathing technique is very clear in his tapes and take special note of his transition hand & foot pivots if you want to understand why he dominates at tournaments.

Tang Soo,
Dave

Martial Art Style TSD

Now that we are talking about tapes, has anyone checked out the DVD the TSDMK has put together?

Which is a shame I seen his Chilson at a tournament, he doesn't do it the way USSBDMDK teaches it, he don't do it the way Pan Am teaches it or the way MGK do it. He has no soft flowing moves or soft breaths, he bulls thru it . and it sounds like he says chilson oreo, ROFLMAO

KC
keepin it real

KC,

I believe Master Rexer is with American TSD Fed. and is doing the forms correcty for his organizations Ryu Pa (?) and this makes my point that as more TSD orgs pick up the Chil Sun forms you will see differences, just like with the other older widely practiced forms.

b

One of my students a 3rd dan will be performing Chil Sung Ill ro hyung, and I believe Master varga May perform Chil Sung 6 or 7 at my tournament War On The Floor.
We'll see how they do!
And how the judges score the chil Sungs
Good Luck gentlemen!

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do Martial Arts Society

Good Luck to you and all your competitors!

Tang Soo!

b

Chil Sung Update!
It was so hectic the last few days I didnt realise until yesterday that in the black belt 18 to 34 years of age division one of my dans John Mcgough took home first place in black belt forms doing Chil Sung Ill ro Hyung.
The Chil Sung Hyungs do stand out on the open circuit. And all the credit goes to john...anyone can teach a form its the student who breathes life into it.
MD

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do Martial Arts Society

Melanie,

If you meant the DVDs KJN Ferraro put out I have them. WE had to buy all of them for my wife, My son and I only needed up to green belt

I've watched the white, orange, and green DvD's a number of times. They are very good. I've noticed things I have been doing wrong. My son has used his copies and it has helped him in his forms.

My wife says the upper level DVDs are just as good and are helpful for her also.

JVoss

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do, Haedong Gumdo

I will br getting the whole set too! I can't wait
Some things have changed since I first started in 86, haha, and I may still be doing some things the old way, can't wait to buy them, but I have a little while yet before the cash flow is at the point where it is possible.

b