Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
SRJK -The interesting deleted post on warrior-scolar!!

Re: SRJK -The interesting deleted post on warrior-scolar!!
Name: Master Jay S. Penfil
Date Posted: Oct 22, 05 - 6:25 PM
Email: jaypenfil@sbcglobal.net
Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

I was speaking with JH this morning and he asked me if I had seen this posting yet. I hadn’t. My name has been mentioned here by a couple of participants that I consider to be good friends, and excellent examples of the true Tang Soo Do spirit.

As all of you know, I always post using the handle, “Master Jay S. Penfil”, and have my contact information available for everyone. The reason is quite simple; if you have something to ask me, a concern about an issue or whatever, I am out in the open and accessible to EVERYONE.

Disingenuous one,
I don’t know if I am the individual that you are speaking of in this statement;
How he has burned too many bridges within the Martial Arts community in Michigan.

But if I am, and you have something to say regarding me, here I am.

You can contact me by cell phone at: 248-561-5700.

You can email me at: jaypenfil@sbcglobal.net.

You can visit me in person where I teach at the:

Jewish Community Center
6600 West Maple Rd. (15 Mile Rd.)
West Bloomfield, MI 48332
My classes are on Tuesday & Thursday evenings, from 7:30 to 9:30pm.

If you are local it will be really easy for us to meet and get to know one another.

If I’m not the individual that you were speaking about, you can still come by to get acquainted, call or write…

Everyone that I have ever been involved with has received support and good instruction from me. The seniors that I have trained with over the past 33+ years are all still in contact with me, and hold me in good standing. If you know of someone that states that this is not the case, get me together with them and we will find out what the problem is. If I have truly done something inappropriate, or just flat out upset someone, let me know and if it is true I will own up to it and take the necessary steps to rectify the situation… it’s that simple.

I know that for some of you, it might be hard to believe, but I am not perfect, and have at times come across as overzealous, and in some cases offensive. For any and all of the times that this has happened and has been brought to my attention I have made amends for my actions and moved forward in a positive fashion with whom ever was offended.

There have been times when I have been accused of saying or doing things that I have not done. For example; this past 4th of July I went to the Oak Park, Michigan 4th of July Parade, specifically to show support for the man that prepared me for, tested me for and promoted me to black belt. This Master Instructor is Master Robb Hogan. Without Master Hogan’s instruction and support in those early days, I would not have developed to the point that I have. The lessons that he shared with me were such that I could not have found with ANY OTHER INSTRUCTOR, and to this day I am thankful to him for all that he has shared with me.

Upon approaching Master Hogan after his students finished their march in the parade, he got right to business, as he always does. If there is a problem, he wastes NO TIME in addressing the necessary issues. He told me that someone had sent him an email with a posting enclosed that was “Supposedly” written by me that stated that; according to me, Master Hogan was a “Mediocre Instructor”. I have never made any such statement verbally or in writing to anyone, anywhere at any time. I made that clear to Master Hogan. He stated that it was my name that appeared at the end of the posting as the author.

Within an hour of that conversation with Master Hogan, I went on line and did a search of my name on the internet. Doing such a search will pull up EVERY place on the web that contains my name. I could not find any posting that contained anything remotely along the lines of the posting that was sent to Master Hogan, and that is most likely because whoever sent it to him probably manufactured it, or received it from its author. I was not involved in any way…

Master Hogan was very upset when he received that posting, and I was very upset when he brought it to my attention. Games like this are totally unacceptable, and should not be played by anyone, on anyone.

As Bernard stated, please do not use this discussion board (or any other for that matter) to air your dirty laundry. If your boggle is with me, I am always accessible via the contact info provided in this posting. I always answer my cell, and a check me email several times per day. I am always present at my class. As said earlier, I am easy to find, for those who truly want to find me.

Let’s work on keeping it clean and friendly from here on out, and use your real name or an email that is legitimately yours so we can converse in private when necessary…

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Welcome back Master Penfil!

The thread started out strange to say the least with Jason Thornhill’s post in response to Friend’s post. It just didn’t make any sense to me.

In the later posts by “Who Cares, Your good friend, and Disingenuous one” and I’m not so sure they were talking about you, even though Jason Thornhill did make a comment about “my good friend Master Jay Penfil" in one of his posts. Which just added more confusion when the following posters: Who Cares, Your good friend, and Disingenuous one, posted implied nonsense.

By the way who is from Novi Michigan? There might not be to many Jason Thornhill’s there but I bet you'll find a whole lot of Who Cares, Your good friends, and Disingenuous ones.

I hope you will find whoever the person is and what their problem is.

Jim Cotton

Re: Re: SRJK -The interesting deleted post on warrior-scolar!!

This is crazy. Don't know what to say. Who does such things?
Shouldt we all be united as we have the love for Tang Soo Do in common?

Melanie,
You are correct. We should all have only the best of intentions with our every action, and although I have done some things that were perceived to be wrong over the years, I have NEVER done anything to hurt or offend ANYONE intentionally.

If this person’s allegations are legitimate I will hear from him/her/them. If not, I won’t and it will die as fast as it came about.

Jim,
Thank you for your thoughts as well. They are greatly appreciated.

I have been teaching seminars across the country for the past year, as many of you know, and many of you have attended. When I teach a seminar everyone is invited, regardless of system/style/organization affiliation, rank, gender, race, etc. I don’t turn anyone away for any reason. My goal is, as has been discussed at great length with everyone that I have been involved with is to bring everyone together and establish a Tang Soo Do brotherhood. I have been very successful so far, and intend to continue to work in this direction.

If any of you are interested in setting up a seminar you can contact me any time, and I will look forward to meeting and training with you. If you want to contact me simply to talk and share information, that is fine as well.

I have to get back to work, as it is Monday morning…

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Re: Re: SRJK -The interesting deleted post on warrior-scolar!!

I think Master Penfill is one of the most honnorable martial artists I know. Our late night phone coversations I consider to be part of my guidance within my martial arts journey.

Plus when he's your roomate at the Nationals you learn alot!