Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Master Belt

When did the use of the red stripe thru the belt start?
What is the significance of the stripe?

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Master Belt

Aprox 1968-69 Jae Joon Kim was the first to wear one here in the USA, along with the following Masters that came right after him: C.I.Kim, Chung Sun Hwan, Song Man Bak, and Tiger Kim (NY). I was told that Mrs. Hwang (Hwang Kee's wife) hand sewn the first ones and the very first person to get one was C. I. Kim. Right after that @1970 Dale Drouillard 5th Dan, David Praim 4th Dan,Russ Hanke 4th Dan received theirs and shortly after a whole bunch of other 4th Dans throughout the states received theirs all around 1970-71.

Was there been there have all the records of the time first hand experience....

Take Care,

Re: Re: Master Belt

I believe this is something else that was borrowed from the Japanese . In mainland Japan , some organizations use a black belt w/ a red stripe down the middle for people that have earned the Kyoshi title . Some org's allow for the title to start being used at 6th Dan , some not till 7th . Then Hanshi is usually for 9th , & 10th Dan . Hanshi is signified in mainland by a solid red belt . Some say the koreans started using red belt as a slap in the face for the japanese .

David

Thanks Dave/Jim,

I am interested in seeing copies of these records if its not too much trouble, for my collection of historic trivia if you will, LOL you never know, one day I might organize everything I have into a manual of TSD history in the US.

b

As far as what the midnight blue with the red center symbolises, here are two stories.

The red line through the center represents the heart of the master.

or
perfect ballance
Like the Um Yang in the center of the Korean Flag one half blue the other half red, so is it with the Masters belt no longer just midnight blue but now with the red center meaning the wearing has obtained perfect harmony and ballance.

Tang Soo!

Martial Art Style founder / The Tang Soo Do Martial Arts Society

Bernard,

You can go hear to find some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanshi , & also www.imafusa.org . Neither site talks much about the belts themselves , but explains a bit about Shogo(titles) . Wish I could of helped more .

David

Re: Re: Re: Master Belt

Here's another one B : http://members.cox.net/****okai/martial_art.htm

David

Great info!

Here's another bit of cultural trivia (albeit, most likely a modern bit concocted to give an illusion of deep philosophical meaning)....

....Ever wonder about the Knot tied in the belt and why it is tied where it is between the hips? OK...here's the story, the knot is tied the way it is because when you look at it, it has the shape of female gentalia (please don't ask me to explain that) and it is tied over the Danjun, because in Asia, the Danjun (Tien Tin) (about three fingers below your navel) is the center point of a human being not only physically, but spiritually as well. It is the location of one's spirit or soul...thus...the knot illustrates that we are born out of this point (kinda neet story if you think about it). You should take note that the Japanese so believed this that they say Haragiri (splitting the belly) as a Devine Sacrifice of oneself and it only made sense to 'release the spirit' from the place where it resides in the body. Now, I don't know if anyone will ever be able to prove if this is true...but you are always welcome to 'unbutton' your 'belly button' and take a look....or you could just put your head up your......well...you get the picture.

JH

Neh Kang, Weh Yu. Inside Strong, Outside Gentle.

The philosophy behind the midnight blue Master's belt with the red line through the center is the philosophy of gentleness, humility, and maturity on the outside and strength, fire, and power on the inside.

Martial Art Style Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan

That is the explanation I remember too.
Since this board cuts across many organizations it's nice to ask sometimes just to see what other orgs teach.

b