Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Il Soo Sik/ Ho Sin Sul

Does your association ,fed, club etc stick to the original model of Ho SinSul/ IlSooSik ie, basic 1 steps 1-10 intermediates 1-18, crosshand wrist/sleeve, sameside wrist/sleeve, cross same/cross upper etc, or have they made adaptations/ alterations, if not do you feel this model is what makes TSD unique from other styles? why? if yes what changes have been made?

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Il Soo Sik/ Ho Sin Sul

We have made significant modifications to both, based on what we have learned from other styles and other instructors far superior to us in knowledge and experience. Traditional TSD (at least with the organization we belonged to) was very weak. As a woman, I would honestly say most techniques were ineffective the way we were taught to do them. Adding in pressure points, joint locks, and proper structure of body changed our lives! Also, understanding what the applications are for is HUGE!

Martial Art Style TSD

Re: Re: Il Soo Sik/ Ho Sin Sul

When I was in Korea...and we did hoshinsool...it was considered crap unless someone ended up in extreme pain, immobilized, down on the floor...or all of the above. Then I came back to the U.S. and got told I had to learn the 'standardized' ones steps and hoshinsool. One look told me they were crap, because the locks were applied at the wrong angle and there was no follow through. So...as you may have guessed...the minute I was out the door of the MDK...those hoshinsoo were out MY door. Today I do everything based upon a deeper understanding of the kicho sool. From day one, we begin by learning simple wrist releases and then we take it to the next level of using the very basic blocks and strikes in a manner which illustrates them as not just simple blocks and strikes but also traps, joint locks, nerve point manipulations and takedowns. Why should my students have to wait all the years I had to just to learn how to do this stuff the way it was intended in the first place?

JH

Re: Il Soo Sik/ Ho Sin Sul

I think the sets as they are, make a good foundation for joint locks, takedowns, and even pressure point tech., if you only look it's all there, not taught in some cases perhaps but there.As for the positioning, yes I admit that some of the intermediates need attention. I also like to follow thru with the takedowns that the standard sets don't do,or combine the basic with the intermediate. With just a little attention to hand positioning you see that you are at pressure points.
What types of modifications have you done to the basic sets?

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Re: Il Soo Sik/ Ho Sin Sul

The modifications we've made are exactly as you've described. We kept the basic sets (in most cases) but changed body structure, and hand positioning to include locks and targeting pressure points for effectiveness. We call it "bonus pain" jokingly - but the kids love it.