Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Dobahks

What Dobahk do you prefer?

I am ready for my yearly upgrade and am considering options.
I for the most part get Sang Moo Sa uniforms, I have picked up Pro force, but am not thrilled with them, I am looking for a Dobahk that is trimmed out already, but if you have a superior brand i am open to suggestion.

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Dobahks

I've never had a problem with Proforce. They've always fit me (and the heavy weights come in 1/2 sizes), the trim is good and I haven't suffered severe fading problems (just use cold water and oxyclean). I also like how they now make one in 8 0z. which is really comfortable. Reminds me of the Dobok I got in Korea (I just wish they'd make it in a traditional pant instead of a drawstring. I called the company on this...so maybe if a few of you others would call as well, they'd start making it with traditional ties). By far, Proforce is the most affordable uniform (of course...I never pay retail for anything).

JH

I have had Pro-force, but I am thinking of a brand I have not tried before, if I must ,I would go with another Sang Moo Sa over the Pro-force, unless money becomes the issue, then it's a no brainer for the Pro-force pricewise.

b

Re: Re: Dobahks

We import our doboks from another country. Makes them extremely affordable. We order in huge quantities to make the shipping and customs fees worth it. The brand is Pro Safety. We are very happy with them. Very soft, even though 14 oz, for the dark midnight blue trim. Would be happy to speak with you about pricing if you're interested. We carry from 000 through Size 8 in white, green trim, red trim, midnight blue trim.

Valerie W,

Thanks for the reply. is this the same company out of Pakistan?
http://www.prosafetywear.com/karate.html

b

That's the one.

Questions
I ask because you have experience with the co.

Can I get dobahks per unit or do you have to buy quantity? I have a e-mail in to them but no reply yet.
How do sizes run? I take a 5 in Sang Moo Sa and Pro-force, are the sizes comparable?

Also if you are the distributor here in the US, what price are they from you.you can e-mail on that if you prefer bredfield@snet.net

b

The shipping costs would make buying them by the unit cost-prohibitive. Also, they would most likely not be willing to make only a few at a time. They buy their material for uniforms and trim as needed, it seems, and must buy rolls at a time. So making one uniform out of an entire roll (or whatever the word for it is) would not be good business sense for them. That is my take anyway. They have a lot of problems with keeping e-mail up in that country. Sometimes I get answers back immediately; other times it takes a week or more. I will put together what our cost to you would be and send it next week. It's more than just the unit price which is very, very low, so it take a bit of calculation. Have to add on shipping, duty costs, custom broker fees, port fees, insurance, legal fees, etc. By the time you do all of that, buying by the unit would not be cheaper for you. That's why we bought in such large quantity. (thousands...but we have over 300 students so we figured we'd go through them). Finally, I've imported mats from Korea (1000 each time) 3 different times. It was such smooth sailing that I never dreamed how difficult textile import could be. Just did a second shipment recently that was as bad as the first. More restrictive rules and regs and tighter compliance because they have more restrictive requirements to look at! Anyway, early next week I'll send you a price.

sizes

Re sizes - they are close. We had sleeves done a little shorter than at the wrists because we like them like that. Plenty of chest room. The belts were much shorter than Bear Brand but about the same as Pro Force. (I just gave them the exact inches we needed for black belts and they made them to suit.) The PANTS, however, are not as generous. They are straighter legs which look much nicer, but you can't afford to be terribly overweight. Americans as a whole are not in great shape so some students may need a pant size bigger, but we haven't had that request yet. In our case since we ordered so many, we can mix and match if needed so we've left everything packaged as it came.

I have heard they are still out there, but I brought a Hvywt Canvas Uniform Bear Brand that lasted me almost 8 years of constant use. I also got an Eagle Brand Uniform of about the same specs that lasted me 5 years. They were great comfortable uniforms, at the time they ran me about 70 or 80 bucks wholesale if I am remembering correctly on the Eagle, the Bear Brand was a gift...I bet it is probably carried by Asian World of Martial Arts, not sure what price range they would run now or if you can even buy the eagle brand. I had to get them trimmed.

In comparison, the standard hvywt canvas uniform sold by Century lasts about a year before needed to be replaced. These uniforms, I wear probably averaging 5 times a week so there is a lot of washing. The old Bear Brand was the most sturdy, but to be honest I liked the fit and feel of the Eagle brand even though it did not last as long.

Also, I have heard the Century Ironman uniform is not bad.

The proforce uniforms have not impressed me personally at all, but to be honest I don't think there much worse if any than the standard century heavywt uniform is.

J

There = they're

The Pro Force hvywt is what I was comparing to the Century Hvywt by the way.

Try this one www.storeofmartialarts.com they have moo duk kwan uniforms they are made in korea as well as www.choibrothers.com they both have real good uniforms...

Martial Art Style TSDMGK

I have found that Shureido and Kamakazi...are for the money the best uniforms available. They feel great, they wear well and they last forever.

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan

Dear KJN,

Thank you for the suggestions, I have gone with the Pro-safety, the price is right ,they come in diff weights, I'm getting 100% cotton 14oz trimmed and if they work out well, perhaps we can import them from the manufacturer for the MGK with custom MGK labels, will look into this.

Respects,
b

Valerie,

Well I have been wearing the Pro-Safety and I must say is is a softer comfortable uniform, even with the heavyweight size, could use ironing out of the wash though, but overall a great uniform.
Thanks for your help and all the bother. e-mail me porivatley about the vagarities of importing. I have a thought of going into the Dobahk biz

b

Bernard,

Have you compared the prosafety to the 14 oz Pro Force Super Heavy Weight? You can find those in the $60ish range online. I'm interested in Sang Moo Sa, but like you have heard they are not as good as they used to be.

I have two 14 oz pro force gi (one black and one TSD black trim) and I am enjoying them (still can't compare to my all white tokaido though, but much more economical)

Regards,

John

The Pro-Safety is the most comfortable uniform I've worn, the Sang Moo Sa, is the best looking and wearing, Pro force is in the middle of the two but I haven't owned a tokaido so can't compare it to the others.

b