Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grappling? Ground fighting? Just not enough!

Greetings Friends,
It's my hope that this post is found to be of interest. Seems now a days that the Ultimate Fighting System is grappling and ground fighting. It's been stated that the traditional martial artist isn't skilled to survive in such battle as the UFC and most are leaving traditional systems for grappling...this is my reason for this post. Please understand dear friends that traditional training whether it's Tang Soo Do or any martial art is of great importance for survival on the street. Let me make an Important statement here....grappling and ground fighting alone without a foundation in traditional martial arts is not enough to survive. Let me explain if I may.

We as martial artists need to learn as much as we can asorb.
I just recently held a dan testing at my school. One of my students who holds a second dan in hapkido through the IHF but has been training with me was one of the candidates...I was testing him for his cho dan in Tang Soo Do which he has worked very hard for. He is well versed in grappling, chokes and submissions and has made the statement on more then one occasion that against a stand up stylist he would choke them out. One of my dans who was present and has had exstensive training in brazilian jujitsu knew what was in store this day. He went through the same testing to earn his cho dan. Also present was another member testing for sa dan who folks let me get off topic for a moment...this man was remarkable! when he performed hyung I allmost thought I could see his oppoanants. You won't catch me saying that too often but he was to understand the importance of traditional training this day also.
Sitting on the testing board with me to my right was one of my students, a master from Wyoming Michigan and on my left GrandMaster Robert(bobby) Bell of Detroit. Gm bell was my long time instructor in shotokan and jujitsu. He knows as he taught me the importance of grappling and submissions but mixed with traditional karate training. This is where I learned my grappling from GM Bell. The point i'm getting at is this...the testing was physical, testing the candidates spirt, and pushing them to the limits. At the end of thier exam came the sparring....and GM Bell made an important point! sparring one on one..My hapkido stylist testing for cho dan in tang soo do easily would lock up his opponant...until! I sent in another black belt to assist...now it was two on one...GM bell's son Chris Bell a 4th dan jumped in...no more grappling...it just didnt work. against two attackers he could no longer concentrate on only one opponant. Then I sent in a third attacker, another black belt...it was traditional karate training now! Now came the time to remember what was taught in basics and hyung practice through the bunkai (applications ) in the hyungs and of course the horse stance. GM Bell got up and made an important statement...on the street against more then one attacker remember the importance of the horse stance...he stated look at two females fighting...they are fighting facing thier opponant swinging wildly but from the horse stance. its natural! Look at our one steps for instance, when we counter we side step....look down at your feet! what stance are you in. Grappling and ground fighting are extremeley effective...but please let's never limit ourselves...yes most fights on the street one on one will go to the ground! but what if you are attacked as in most cases by more then one attacker? Ever got into a brawl when you were younger? or in a bar? I don't drink but the fight may start out just you against him...that is until your getting the best of the guy...then you can bet your life his buddies are jumping in....try choking out three / four guys at once.....its back to traditional training my friends...back to basics....learn grappling! asorb all you can....but never substitute one for the other
Tang Soo!

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do Martial Arts Society