Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kicho Hyungs

What are the modifications to the Kaikyuko forms that make the Kicho Hyungs creations of GM Hwang Kee??

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Kicho Hyungs

The 1st one is the same. The 2nd one has low block, & high punches, no high blocks. The 3rd one has middle punches in a front stance, instead of the side punches you are used to in TSD.
Have you ever trained the Sae Kye Hyungs, the WTSDA variations? They're very interesting. Shigeru Oyama, founder of World Oyama created a set of Kihon Kata for his organization which are very similar. But instead of turning, 120 deg after the last punch to the front, he turns to the rear. Down the middle of these Kata, in the 1st one he teaches front kicks, followed by back fist reverse punch. The 2nd one has round kicks, & the 3rd has front kick, roundhouse, spinning back kick, backfist reverse punch. Even though I consider myself somewhat of a traditionalist, I have always liked those Kata developed by Oyama. I think they teach good fighting techniques. I think there are a set of seven, or eight of them, there's even one where you spin around somone then knee them in the head, very practical stuff, IMO.

David

David

Hi David,

I have seen the Sae Kye, but not Oyama's they sound interesting, I will have to look them up. As for the Taikyuko, thanks for the clarification, I wondered since I had not seen them but had heard they were the same, So it is just the first that is the same.Interesting.

Thanks
b

Re: Re: Kicho Hyungs

They're a bit different from what I remember, maybe they changed them since I've seen them, not sure. But, here they go: http://www.korejado.com/homework/kata.htm

David

Re: Re: Re: Kicho Hyungs

Have you ever seen or do you know Ro Hi Edan and Sam Dan ? I have them on an old tape but the Master is just working out and forgets the third form at the end, also one Master does a variation of Whang Shu. I think I e mailed you about this last year but my memory is going. LOL

Re: Re: Re: Re: Kicho Hyungs

I do not know them, but they are pictured in Ryusho Sakagami's book. I just got a copy a few months ago, it is written in Korean the version I got, & is much more cheaper, & more readily available then the Japanese version. I think the website I got it from is www.mooto.com . There are actually 3 Itosu Rohai, & Matsumura Rohai which is what Hwang KJN changed to add in his MDK. Happy New Year !

David

Hi Dave,

Just to clarify, there are 3 Itosu and one Matsumura Rohai? and TSD used the modified Matsumura?

Happy New Year,
b

Re: Re: Kicho Hyungs

Yes, exactlly!

David

Re: Re: Re: Kicho Hyungs

B, & DR,

You can see Matsumura Rohai here: http://www.okinawabbtv.com/culture/karate/karate_meta/b04021411_karate_tomari_lowhigh.asx . I think it is from within matsubayashi Ryu, not sure though.

David