Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Extreme Martial Arts

Looking for opinions on Extreme Martial Arts, the flips, the tricks, etc.

Is it ethical to use this to bring the general public into the Martial Arts, as long as once they come into the Dojang they are taught the difference between real practical Martial Arts and showmanship?

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Extreme Martial Arts

I think it should be called Martial Gymnastics or something, since that is what it is. And what is up with the screaming at the top of your lungs?? the concept of projected spirit is lost in the contest for who screams longest and loudest, while looking around with your eyes bugged out, LOL I do like the weapons forms though, fun to watch.

b

No argument here.

Only to say, it is showmanship and impressive to the uninitiated. It is all about excitement, acting and dazzling the crowd. More about these things than the Martial Arts. Guess my question is simply, if it brought people into the doors would one use it, or would it endanger the very thing we are teaching?

Jamie

I guess it could be a finale, in a Division all it's own, if you were trying to get a big crowd, but I don't think Most TSD tournaments are worried about drawing a crowd so much as drawing quality competitors. I Think there will always be Traditionalists and Extreme MA types so I don't see them as a threat, just another type of MA,