Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
How and why did you get into Martial Arts?

My journey into the Martial Arts started with a boxing class in my gym back in Germany. I started taking it out of curiosity and really liked it. I used to be a bit of an agressive little thing and boxing seemed to help me a bit with that.
When I started working I didnt do anything for a few years but the thought of a "fighting sport" was still in the back of my mind.
The Dojang where I train now, also has a KardioKickboxing Class which I took and when I arrived early I saw some of the Karate training which cought my attention. I tried it out and "I licked blood" as we say in Germany. It is such a great combination between mind and physical exercise.It has given me more self confidence,I feel i look less like a victim then other people, I am in better shape (at least I wish ) and I rest more in myself.

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: How and why did you get into Martial Arts?

I began Martial arts when I was in elementary school, I wanted to take Karate, but my parents would't hear of it. So I was enrolled in Judo, I actually was pretty good at it, mostly because my Sensei Vincent Ursone took the time with me, I was short skinny introverted and shy back then. Then I went on to Karate in high school messing around with some guys who took real lessons and mixed it with judo and learned some basic kicks and punches, just learning to scrap really. . More informal training in the service, then Tang Soo Do in 86, I dropped out for reasons posted on my site around 89, then came back in 95, Hapkido since around 2000? not sure, but I love them all, I still go back once in a while and train in Judo, mainly to help with my throws fbut I do love the roundori and ground work. Tang Soo Do is my main love. Why did I begin? in the beginning it was to help get me out of my shell and get confidence, then later it was more to really learn how to defend myself, then after that because I really like to be able to push myself, and to have an outlet, I think I'm just hooked on the endorphines now, LOL

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Re: How and why did you get into Martial Arts?

There was a Chinese Boxing demo at my Cub Scout meeting & I loved it. Another kid & I started together. The school closed, & I wen't to a TSD school. My Mom said a few months ago that she thought my interest would fade after 6 months or so. That was 29 years ago. lol That'll teach her.