Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BASIC ONE STEPS

BASIC ONE STEPS

1) Hands knuckle to knuckle off right hip, sidestep with right foot into horse stance, left hand knife block, right hand high punch

2) Step right - front stance, left center punch - hands knuckle to knuckle on right hip, double chop (left to forearm, right to neck)

3) Step right - front stance, left center punch - left backfist to temple

4)Push punch away with right open hand while turning to left and bringing right leg up to side kick position, step down into horse stance, right backfist just under opponent's nose.

5)Push punch away with right open hand while turning to left and bringing right leg up to side kick position, step down into horse stance. Strike with right elbow, pivot - left elbow. While still looking over left shoulder step out with right leg into fighting stance. Glance over right shoulder to see if anyone is coming and then look back.

6) Push punch downward with right open hand while turning to left and bringing right leg up to side kick position, land horse stance, right backfist to temple.

7) Push punch downward with right open hand while turning to left and bringing right leg up to side kick position, land horse stance, right chop to neck.

8) Sidestep with left foot, left hand knife block, right punch to rib.

9) Sidestep with left foot into horse stance, double knife blocks - right low punch, left middle punch, right high punch

10) Sidestep with left foot into horse stance, left high block. Keep block up, right punch to face, bring right hand back halfway, right low punch to groin.

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: BASIC ONE STEPS

These are very basic true. Try to teach the concepts of these basics to a new student, and you will see how hard it is for the newbie to grasp simple things, like stepping on an angle with the right foot , while also using the left hand to ward off a blow. Too many of use forget how difficult these basic movements are to a person who just begins.

Those will not work, they are not effective and teach wrong movement and posture, MY OPINION

KillJoy,

I have to agree with Nobody, they are wonderful teaching aids for the begining student. They are called BASIC one steps as you recall. They are a valuable tool for teaching coordination , hip rotation and cross body techniques, ie- step right block left, twist , punch. Also distance, timing and focus.
You have your opinion I have mine, nothing wrong with having an opinion, just try to have an open mind.

b

Dear Killjoy,

I notice you did tell us how they don’t work. These are basic 1-steps and good ones, I think. Bill Wallace only had three very basic kicks in his arsenal and he was a 7-time world champ. These 1-steps are as basic as the proverbial “black dress and pearls”. It is said that Elegance is “Simplistic Beauty” so I would never underestimate the power of simplest solution to a problem – it is usually the best solution. Show me a student that has truly mastered those 1-steps against a moving target and I will show a man who will get home safe that night.

How about doing a video of them?

Just another opinion.

Tang Soo,
Dave

Martial Art Style TSD

just revisiting the basics

I concur, they look solid to me. They have the basic principles which any basic one step should have.

Get out of the direct line of attack.

Stop the attack (with a block or otherwise).

Stop the opponent with a counter-attack.

These principles work in real situations as well. As for basics, basics often time work the best :)

We use five basics, five intermediate and five advanced one-steps to teach the basic principles of one step punching techniques. From their, our students are encouraged to use the lessons they have learned to build their own natural one steps employing the basics, locks, bars, sweeps, throws, breaks or combinations of them (under the guidance of the instructor of course). The objective being to hammer home the principles of body movement and mechanics, so that the techniques they use are adaptable to situations other than a "straight martial arts punch".

Just on a note, here are the first five we use...so very simple and posted here for academic purposes, our particular system and schools have been using these same five for around 30 years that I know of, maybe longer, and continue to use them because they quite frankly have worked well for us in teaching what we desire to teach to our students. Both these and Mr. Redfield's list of one steps teach from what I can see the same principles and that is why they both work and are sound tools for teaching the students how to move, react and defend themselves down the road.

1. Step to the left to a back stance at a 45 degree angle, fold for a knife hand block, block right hand, grab the opponents wrist with your blocking hand, pick the right leg up, round kick to the solar plexus.

2. Step to the right to a backstance at a 45 degree angle, fold for an outside block, block with the left hand, turn your hips to a front stance delivering a palm heel strike to the nose with your right hand.

These first two teach moving out of the way at an angle, blocking to stop the attack from following, and countering as well as a myriad of small but important technical things.

3. Step back right foot(note we do one steps very close to each other if you don't move you get punched in the nose), sink and high block into a back stance, blocking with your left hand, reverse punch to a front stance right hand to the solar plexus.

3 Teaches you can sink and let things go over the top, blocking to insure of course.

4. Step backward with the left foot into a horse stance, blocking with an inside to outside block with the right hand, fold for a bottom fist and bottom fist with the same right hand to the opponents temple. When done right, one fluid motion.

4 teaces you can retreat backward and the blocking hand can be used to strike.

5. Step to the left to a back stance at a 45 degree angle, fold for a knife hand block, block right hand, turn to a front stance punch left hand to the ribs, turn back to a back stance right hand punch (or jab) to the head, turn back to a front stance punch with the left hand again to the ribs.

5. Teaches the counter can be multiple quick attacks.

Those are our most basic, and for us too, it takes a long time for the students to learn this new movement and distance and all the little things, but for us these help lay a solid foundation for the intermediate and advanced and then all the ones to come.

Just thought I would share, I myself am always interested in reading how others do things and accomplish the same or similiar ends.