Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What makes a good school ?

It seems that I have detracted from the integrity of this forum so what I would like to hear is what things each of you thinks makes a good school

Re: What makes a good school ?

What makes a good school, hmmm, As I always carry my dobahk when I travel and try to workout at new schools I may have some good input, I'll go by what comes to mind in no particular order,

Physical Traits, large mirrored training area with either a good all purpose mat(zebra etc,) or a hardwood floor, (with pull out matts for take downs and floor work,I myself don't like the arobic flooring, an old dance school or gym floor is what I like. High ceilings, so I don't get my Kwan Dao stuck in the ceiling. the basic minimum equipment would be heavy bags, large/small targets (mitts/bags) an assortment of training weapons, extra goodies would be a small weight room with the usual free weights and assorted benches machines.

The feel of the studio is important to me, I look for the vibe a studio has.I don't need a militant vibe, or an angery one, I prefer Peaceful and harmonious. I get enough anger directed at me during the day (in my blue collar job)I don't need it in a studio.

Other students same thing, I prefer not to have to train with egotists or guys with a chip, they tend to be the ones to injure people during class and then whine if you give it back.

Instructor, should be able to command respect not demand respect, should be able to demonstate the material, should be knowledgeable in regard to the sylibus being taught, also the history behind what is being taught and the applications of the material. should be someone you can look up to.

class time should be a mix of forms practice. application of techniques, drills, sparring, hosinsool, etc. quick paced and hard enough to test you but not so hard that you want to puke.

Thats about it off the top of my head, and come to think of it, I pretty much described my school and instructor, and most of the schools in my organization, see www.tsdmgk.com for more info, LOL great I just did an infomercial

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Re: What makes a good school ?

Yep Me sbn Hemphill is still waiting on Ksn Redfeild to come see us down here. Hopefully before Hurricane season starts again..

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan

Sorry won't be anytime soon, I wanted to do the 2week commit for the Red Cross, but work won't let me go for 2wks straight, so Vacation time is booked up for Summer Camp and Nationals, but if things change jobwise I'll let you know.
b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Benard

I hope these guys give you an ear full and I hope it helps you with your venture

Best Wishes