Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TSD Tape Review

I would be interested in see people's rating of various Tang Soo Do Tapes. Here are few of mine. I am rating the tape not the person. I am also looking at this from the view point of instructor suggesting tapes to GUP students.

1. Master Dan Nolan: Good production value but technique appears soft and slow but may have been by design for illustration purposes.

2. Master D. Giacobbe: Great production value and very strong technique with precise movements. I liked how he went through all techniques for each rank by rank.

3. Master Penny Mitchell, GUP 1-steps (hand and foot): poor production value but excellent technique demonstration. They pay close attention to proper stances and alignment in each movement of the 1-step. When I digitized the VHS tape it surprising came out much clearer.

4. CS Kim: Great production value (especially since they were filmed 10 years old). GM Kim's performance is strong, quick, and clear but students performance does not resemble instructor.

5. Master Rexer: Good production value. Technique is very quick and strong but he seems to change eliminates to demonstrate his athletism versus historic technique. I would suggest to Black Belts but not to Gups.

I would appreciate you comments on these tapes as well as other tapes you like or dislike.

Tang Soo
Dave Doty
www.cka.50megs.com

Martial Art Style TSD

Re: TSD Tape Review

I have a tape by Dan nolan I bought about 20yrs ago, not so good, but it was done outside so I figure te bad footing had alot to do with it, the techniques I did enjoy though.

I have a DVD by Master Henry, that is very well done.

I have a very well produced VHS tape by GM Ho Sik Pak that I can also recommend

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Re: TSD Tape Review

Kyo sa nim Redfeild,,

What else do you have in your video libary. I have some stuff to in which I don't know if you have or not...

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do Mi Guk Kwan

Hi Mr Pope sorry it took so long but these were packed because of construction,
this is most of the open hand tapes, not including the weapons tapes I have , there are more but they are boxed up, were I can't reach them easily.

Tang Soo Do:
Master Henry Vol.2
Mastering Tang Soo Do-Dan Nolan tape 2
3rd Dan Forms-Ho Sik Pak
compilation with- Tae *** Kwan, MDK Secret Meeting, HC Whang-Yuk Ro 1-6 Chil Sun 1-6
compilation with -Tan Tui 12, Old 8mm MDK demo(silent),
compilation with, Russe Hanke seminar 1984 at Mater Penfil's

other tapes
American Combatives-Basic Strikes #2
Hapkido -private tape of the Late Master Mike Wolmerhauser and students performing AHKD tchniques with explanations.
Small Circle Jujitsu- Prof Walley Jay Tape #1
Mastering Aikijujitsu - Miguel AibarraTape#2
Junsado fundimentals

b

6. Grandmaster Charles Ferraro: Excellent production value, very strong technique with precise movement, all techniques for each rank by rank, very close attention to detail and stances, covers all aspects of Tang Soo Do curriculum from white belt to 6th dan

Thank you Kwan Jang Nim,

LOL, I will be getting the whole collection soon, I didn't add it to my list because I don't own it yet. I did add it to the list at Martial Arts Planet-Tang Soo Do though! they were watching some old video that Master Savidge uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-glnv-y-c

Tang Soo!
b

Re: Re: TSD Tape Review

I have the TSDMGK Dan Dvd's. As soon as i get some more money I'm going to order the Gup Dvd's as well...

Hey Mr Pope,
thanks for the pics, boy they grow some big humans in your parts!

b

If you thank I'm Big in the pics you ought to see me in person!!!!!

Hey, Give me a call or send me your phone # and I'll call you. i need to ask you something tsdmdk16485@yahoo.com

just sent you my cell, talk to me tomorrow, I'm beat.

b

OK Iv'e gone and done it.
I bought the ENTIRE MGK DVD series, oh man, when the Visa bill comes, and Grace sees it ,I may have to start competing in the womens Div, LOL

b

BR,

Is there anything unique or different about these tapes that would make me want these tapes versus all the other TSD Hyung tapes out there.

Thanks,
Dave

Martial Art Style TSD