Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting a Martial Arts Class on a Budget

Has anyone read this book? "Starting and Running Your Own Martial Arts School" by Karen Levitz Vactor.

Also, any ideas on opening or finding a place to teach the arts such as YMCA's, Church's, or Recreation Centers? Which one is the best or worst and why?

Your ideas and input are appreciated.

Randy

Martial Art Style TSD

Re: Starting a Martial Arts Class on a Budget

Randy,

Yes I read the book by Karen Levitz Vactor. I thought it was a very good book, and it helped me to avoid some of the pitfalls when you first start out. I would definitely recommend it to you if you are seriously considering the opening of your own school.

As far as teaching at the YMCA, etc. I think it has pros and minuses like everything else. I guess it depends on your attitude and whether you have an aversion to risk, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks,
Patrick K.

You might also consider doing an after school program thru the board of Ed. many school systems have after school programs that offer a variety of subjects, or one of the community rec. centers like a boys/girls club,or a center for underpriveleged children etc. As for which is best you have to meet with the athletic director or executive director and outline your idea and see what types of feedback you get.

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Re: Starting a Martial Arts Class on a Budget

Thank you for the posts,

Patrick K. wrote: “I guess it depends on your attitude and whether you have an aversion to risk, etc.”

No it’s not an “aversion” but a lack of funds. That's way the thread is "Starting a Martial Arts Class on a BUDGET". Your feedback on the book is helpful, thanks

Bernard thank you for your ideas, I never thought about the after school program, it might work. However here in California the schools are trying discourage any kind of Martial Arts Instruction in public schools.

I taught in public schools years ago and at that time it was $6.00 per use. No way in the world will I find a bargain like the old days.

I would like to hear from anyone that has been this route and what they did to start their classes, any and all ideas will be of help.

Thanks,
Randy

Martial Art Style TSD

If you encounter Sah Bum Nim Klacko at one of the upcoming tournaments, I'd suggest asking his opinion.

Re: Re: Re: Starting a Martial Arts Class on a Budget

Dear Randy,

I too dont have alot of money. I have thought about this for a while. No matter where you goto, you will be dictated how you teach, how much to charge, etc. Been there, done that, no thank you. My suggestion, if you have a backyard, teach out of it, or a local park. What I reccomend that you do is, to teach for a suggested donation, per class; However, tell them to give from their heart. If they can afford to give more, then give more, if they cant afford that much, tell them not to worry. If you're gonna teach like this, you can be selective, as well. So, if you get a bad vibe from somone, you dont have to worry about turning them away, because there's no overhead. Then once you do get a good student base, you can then go, and get a commercial space. Me, personally have never liked teaching for somone else, but thats just me. You might not have a problem w/ it, but this is an option. I would also look into AAU Insurance, if you're gonna teach on your own.

David

Re: Re: Starting a Martial Arts Class on a Budget

Hello David,

Thank you for your input on this. Please understand I have many years experience at teaching. What I’m trying to get at, is for people who have experienced this problem to share with the board what are good ways for someone to open a class on a budget. I know teaching in the park can lead to altercations and teaching in recreation centers can be aggravating for the students with sharing the floor with other activities.

What is best? Churches, recreation centers, halls (what kind), YMCA’s, after school programs, sharing space with other Martial Arts schools or dance studios? How did you go about opening the class? Who did you contact?

Years ago, almost every association had some kind of template (How Too) for opening classes. The reason, these organizations had something to gain. If their members where able to open classes their organization grows. Today most organizations just sell certificates, patches, and their videos etc.

Also, thank you DragonLady (Long Fu Ren) unfortunately I’m on the West Coast so I won’t be able to meet anyone from over there. If he could share his method or ideas here it would be of help not only for me but others stuck in the same boat.

Thanks everyone for posting!!!!

Randy

Martial Art Style TSD

Re: Re: Re: Starting a Martial Arts Class on a Budget

Randy,

I too have taught for many years, for various people. But, could never ever afford to open my own place. I've been teaching since the early 90's. Yes, you might have some distractors, but, it might also gain some students, as well. I've set up classes on my own at rec centers, various gyms, etc, they always want you to teach what they want, for them. I remember, teaching at a gym, the aerobics room was upstairs, & the owner came in the class, complaining that were making too much noise, stomping around, etc. When I taught at a rec center, I wasnt allowed for my students to make any contact, & I had to charge what they wanted. There's nothing like having your own place. But, like they say, it takes money, to make money.

David Somers
www.angelfire.com/fl5/okinawagojuryu

Sorry, I don't know Sah Bum Nim Klacko well enough to drag him over here. I just thought of him because he teaches at a local fitness club. I took a prospective student who lived near his do jang over to observe, and we saw a large, enthusiastic class with strong support from the host club. If you are interested enough to try writing him yourself, there's contact info at http://www.cambridgetsd.com/ ; I think the letter would be better received coming from someone of your stature than from a gup he hardly knows.

Have you thought about how many classes a week you would offer to start? Obviously, it's easier for you to offer only two, but it will be harder to make the twice a week training requirement stick if you don't offer any way to make up missed classes.

I have taught at YMCA, churches and Rec centers and they have their pros and cons but if you are starting a class on a budget the pros outweigh the cons usually once you find an organization that wants the program.

Recently I taught out of a rec center in connection with the Military and after two years moved out of the rec center to open our own place where we set the rules. I still out of courtesy and being thankful to the folks at the rec center teach one class a week there, but nothing beats your own place.

The pro of doing this is that by the time I was ready to open up on my own, I already had a bunch of good loyal students who help keep the doors open and have helped me greatly fix the place up. They honestly feel like it is THEIR place and that is what I want. The Dojang belongs to the students, I am just the one lucky enough to run it and honored to be able to teach at it. Now I am not making a fortune on the school, some months (many months) I don't cover the expenses but to have a place of our own where we set the rules (4,000 square feet) is worth paying a couple hundred dollars into the school at times when it funds don't quite make it. And when they do I generally put the money back in the school.

Had I opened up from scratch it would have been rough getting together the 2 grand a month or so that it takes to keep the place up and running (utilities, rent, advertising, replacing equipment, maintenance, insurance, licensing fees adn so on and so on). But, by starting with the rec center it made this possible without a bunch of start up capital.

James