Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Music

Other than Mortal Kombat and Sandstorm, any good suggestions for competition-type music? This is for a choreographed group routine for a "Spree" show demo finale. Thanks!

Re: Music

Try Taiko , Japanese drums

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Re: Music

Thanks. I found 460 versions on MP3 Rocket Player. I'll listen to a few of the most popular ones to see which one will work!

There is a cd available for TSD Hyungs (see AWMA.com). We normally do this during the summer months for fun. We have enjoyed using this cd to see how the writer interuppted the fast and slow movements within a form. Each Hyung has a slow speed and regular.

I always thought these would be good for competition, that is if you are into musical forms, since they are exactly tailored to the TSD hyung.

Tang Soo,
Dave Doty

Martial Art Style TSD

I have to check that out too!

thanks Dave

b

Thanks. We have that CD and use it for the same purposes, for fun! This is more of a finale "number" that showcases a little of everything including segments from forms, basic action combinations, sparring, self defense, breaking and weapons. Sandstorm and Mortal Kombat are good background music for this but are pretty over-used. Just looking for something new. Appreciate the input.

there are a couple tracks from the Kill Bill SoundTracks that aren't bad either,

b

I was demo team coach at our school for several years, and hate techno music. What I came up with at various time was music from:

The Last Samurai
Star Wars (the Imperial March)
Harry Potter
Classical Gas (Mason Williams)
Fur Elise

I am lucky and am very skilled at computer so I was able to cut and paste parts of music that I wanted, and do fades and transitions, etc.

Martial Art Style WTSDA (Tang Soo Do)

Thats great, I will have to check the last samarai soundtrack, forgot about that one, I will have to see whatit takes to do the sampling and fades, what software did you use??

b

Thank you! I don't suppose you have your music on file that you could e-mail do you? If not, I will attempt this myself. Appreciate the suggestions!

There is a lot of great music, but for demo team you might want to mix it. Most of the stuff we do now a days for demos and tournaments are things we have mixed ourselves.

A great free program for doing this is called Audacity. It is free and will let you mix various sound files and then save them as an Mpeg.

For example if you have a place in a song that doesn't fit you can shorten it by cutting it out, or if you need to extend it a little longer you can insert a section again, also sound effects..for example with some sword forms I am doing (while cheesy the kids love it) I am able to add star wars sound effects during the demo toning down the music or increasing how loud it is. Bottom line is you can take any song you like and edit the song so that it fits your demo teams routine.

Best part is Audacity is free and better than any of the other editors I have purchased. I would take the suggestions you have hear, download Audacity and then work with them in the process of creating your routines.

Jamie

Ooops I meant MP3 not Mpeg been fooling around with video footage too much this week :(

Btwn - a modified Imperial March I have been using for Sword and it is fantastic. I start out with some excerpts from the film, then open with the classic imperial March some light saber effects, then break into a modified imperial march (called the rage mix) for the finale of the form with the extreme Butterfly Twists, feilong into a raise, 720 into 540, and handspring into a flash gainer at the end (still working on this last tidbit-the music is right me going upside down with a sword-eerrr me just going upside down with or without a sword is at times problematic). The rage mix is much faster than the traditional march fitting the upscale pace of the ending of the routine. Point being, is a good mp3 editor gives you much more flexibility no matter what music suits your fancy.

James