Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
The new boy

Hey Bernard, & everyone else. A while ago, in one of the other threads, I forgot what we were talking about, but, I brought up that I was gonna start teaching a young boy privately. Well, about 4 weeks ago he finally started. He loves it! His mom, & my wife are good friends, & they were talking, and said that he was telling some friends, and one of them wants to start training too. Also, while on break at work today, I was doing some reading, & used some of my business cards as a book marker, one of my supervisors came up to me, & said "what do you have here?" as he picked up one of my cards. We started talking, & now he wants to start training too. So, it looks as though I'm finally gonna get a class started. As the old saying goes, good things come to those who wait. I've been waiting a long time, & believe my time has come, & it's all comming together. I'm sincerely being blessed, & loving every bit of it. BTW, please ck out my site, I've been doing some more writting, some pretty deep stuff, ck it out below. Take care!

David Somers
www.angelfire.com/fl5/okinawagojuryu

Re: The new boy

Excellent News,

I hope all works out for you, sounds like word of mouth is working well.
I am happy thiings have gone your way!

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Great job!

Have you started thinking about how to make the dynamics of a mixed adult-kid class work?

Re: Re: The new boy

Growing up in the martial arts, back in the 70's, & 80's thats all we had was classes w/ both adults, & kids in the same class. There was no seperate classes. No one got special attention, & there were no games played. I dont even know how to teach that way, if I wanted to. I just teach the only way I know how, just as I was taught growing up.

David

The idea that a Tang Soo Do school is a community school, with adults and children, is both one of the things I love most about the art, and one of the things I struggle with most. I love the kids and help them as much as I reasonably can, but I also want to do enough partner work with people close to my size that I feel confident I can defend myself against an adult if I need to. I can see this being a potential concern for your one adult student. What do you think is the right balance between the different needs of your students?

Re: Re: The new boy

Allow the kids to leave early from class, adults keep training.

Hi Dave,

It's been almost a month, how are the new students coming along? have they brought in more students yet??

b