Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Okinawa Karate Vol.1-2

I watched Vol1-Vol2 Okinawa Karate: 3 Major Schools of Okinawa Karate, Uechi Ryu/Goju Ryu/Shorin Ryu by Churuku Service CoLTD
It was a very interesting 2 volume set with demonstrations of Kata and Bunkai, and insights of karate by:
Goju Ryu
Senaha Shigetoshi(9th dan)
Hokama Tetsuhiro(9th dan)
Tamaki Hidenobu(7th dan)

Shorin Ryu
Onaga Yoshimitsu(9th dan)
Onaga Michiko(7th dan)
Kogan Daniel(5th dan)

Uechi Ryu
Tohyama Seiko(10th dan) 73 years old still looked very strong/ quick
Shinjo Kiyohide (8th dan)
Shinjo Narihiro(7th dan)

There was also a demo by the Japan self defense force Karate Federation, vey impressive full contact sparring, I would recommend this one if your into the roots of karate. www.okinawakaratedo.com

Tang Soo!

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Okinawa Karate Vol.1-2

I've seen parts of the video. Was Hokama Sensei flying thru the Kata, like usual? Just like TKD, & TSD, within Goju Ryu there are many Kans. Hokama Sensei was originally part of Seiko Higa's Shodokan. Seneha Sensei was part of the Meibukan. out of the Meibukan, I think Seneha Sensei, & Ikemiyagi Sensei look the best. The both broke off, and created their own Kai, or association. Onaga Sensei he is from the same lineage as my Kobudo instructor, who teaches Kobayashi Shorin Ryu. I think him, Seneha, & the entire Shinjo familly are absolutely awesome!

David

Re: Okinawa Karate Vol.1-2

Yes he was fast and tight, he did look good. but Shinjo Kiyohide was nasty, that toe kick is something and his toes look deformed, it looks like a spike. the thumb techniques he did were also cool.
I liked OnagaYoshimitsu he is like a fireplug with huge forearms, I liked his explanations and his manner, Tohyama Seiko is built better at 73 than alot of 20yr olds Iv'e seen and he still moves thru Kata very powerfully.

I have to watch them over again when I get back. I'm off to NC till Mon. night

b

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do