Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Soo Bahk Do vs. Tang Soo Do

Our 7 and 9 year olds have been training in Soo Bahk Do for 1-1/2 years. As parents, we like the Soo Bahk Do and particularly the Moo Duk Kwan philisophy. Although we LOVE the Master our boys are training with, the Dojang has recently moved too far away for us to continue training with him. Our boys have trained hard and have come to love SBD. We are looking for Korean style similar to Soo Bahk Do with similar (preferably same) Moo Duk Kwan principles.

Is Tang Soo Do what we are looking for?

Thanks for any guidance members can provide.
Diane R.

Re: Soo Bahk Do vs. Tang Soo Do

I have known both Grand Master Byrne and Penny Mitchell(highest ranked TSD female in the USA) since about 99, and I can say I think you will do well with the American Tang Soo Do Association.
Soo Bahk Do is basically Tang Soo Do, Soo Bahk Do has evolved in a different direction than Tang Soo Do in regard to forms, Tang Soo Do still does the Kicho, Pyan Ahn and other older Okinawan based forms as well as the Chil Son and Yuk Rho Forms, but if you went to a Tang Soo Do school or tournament you would not see much difference . Of course if can find a Tang Soo DO Mi Guk Kwan branch close by, I would recommend checking us out first, www.tsdmgk.com (had to plug us)
b

Re: Soo Bahk Do vs. Tang Soo Do

I hear that Ksn Redfield, I give us plugs everytime i chat with someone. espically in my area here...