Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tang Soo Do Evolved into TKD? did I miss this happening?

True, you did :)

Guess it just sort of touched a nerve on some closely related topics.

I have also been told that Tang Soo Do evolved from Tae Kwon Do. *Sigh*

Jamie

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Just sometimes, it seems neither fact nor reality is important to many Martial Arts schools. They teach history, but their history rather than being based on fact is most often a concotion. The concotion is designed I fear to cover up some perceived shame, which as you stated makes no sense. There is nothing to be ashamed about. Guess that was the nerve that was touched, and thus the tirade, though it was certainly not aimed in your direction, just at the state of things in many sectors of the martial arts world.

Well there is hope, My nephew went to a after school TDK program briefly(hated it) and when he said he was a green belt in TSD the instructor a nice Korean guy, said, Oh TSD that is the Old way, that TKD came from.
not too bad.

b

Re: Re: Tang Soo Do Evolved into TKD? did I miss this happening?

Its hard to believe that TKD evolved from Tang Soo Do.
From my point of veiw, Because Tang Soo Do Was there after the Occupation of Japan. And TKD I'm almost sure didn't show up until the 1950's. In my opinion that was Koreas way of getting rid of the Japanese and Okinawan and chinese influence. so they can say that korea has its on purely korean martial art. tell me if what I said makes any since??

Yes, in many ways what you are saying makes since. A lot of since, Tang Soo Do was one of the major arts that were involved in the formation of TKD, it certainly influenced the formation though I am not sure I would say it was a direct line. And Yes, most certainly Mr. Pope I would say that the creation of TKD was in some ways an attempt to unify Korean Martial Arts, but also an attempt to purify and erase outside influences. I think flawed from the beginning, but what they could not remove from techniques, some have attempted to remove by revising history. So what you are saying, certainly makes sense to me.

The problem I think come in are those that perhaps wanted to do this (whether in the beginning or as historical revisionist) have two small problems:

1) Their techniques have a basis some place and that is not necessarily Korea, especially if you follow the historical trail.

2) Many wish to claim a pure Korean Lineage (it was born, made, originated from Korea without outside influence). Problem is no one has ever been able to prove this and evidence is always to the contrary.

In some ways, I have read and am tending to believe that much of this stems from a problem of nationalism and prejudice. Nationalism can be good when it is pride in one's nation, it can be bad when it obscures the truth, especially when the spirit of Nationalism results in revisionist history.

Anyway, like I said, one can't paint all TKD artists with the same brush, just as for example it would be unfair if I do something ridiculous for someone to hold Mr. Redfield or someone else responsible because we both are Tang Soo. But, it still doesn't mean that listening to ridiculous takes on history that have no historical bearing is aggravating.

Jamie

Correction "is not aggravating."

The power of a single word always amazes me.