Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Greetings! Question about your new school!

Hello, Mr. Redfield!

I saw your school yesterday and stopped by and picked up a business card. I see on your website that you have experience in Usui Reiki. I have been looking to begin practicing Reiki for ages now, but most teachers were too expensive and/or too far away for me to attend their classes. My question is if you will be teaching classes, or will you incorporate this into your normal curriculum?

Good luck on opening your school, and I hope to hear from you.

Re: Greetings! Question about your new school!

Chris,

I have not made any plans as of yet to offer Reiki Training, but, I can put you in contact with one of my Masters, Phran Gacher who is now in Garner NC . her number is:
919 779 7653 and her e-mail is phrangacher@bellsouth.net
I am sure you will be comfortable with her.

bernard

Re: Re: Greetings! Question about your new school!

Greetings,

Thank you, Bernard, for honoring me with your referral for a Reiki student. Currently I am setting up a First Level Reiki class but I do not have a firm date set. I teach First, Second, Advanced and Third, or Master Level. Most classes are scheduled on an as needed basis. The fee is reasonable and a payment schedule may be arrainged.

Phran Gacher, Reiki Master Teacher.

Re: Re: Re: Greetings! Question about your new school!

Mr. Redfield,

Thank you for your fast assistance regarding the Reiki Training. I have contacted Ms. Gacher.

Another question, will you allow cross training (students also training at other schools) as I am currently training elsewhere also. I know that some teachers frown upon that.

Thanks and good luck!

Hello Chris,

I have no problem with cross training, I myself cross-trained to 3rd dan in Hapkido while in Tang Soo Do. What style are you in now??

Also, I will be travelling up to CT for training so it may be a bit before I can reply, I will definately have access to a computer till tues night. then it may be spotty.

Tang Soo!

b

*sigh* This school is really far from my house. I'll have to start walking now:)

Re: Re: Re: Greetings! Question about your new school!

Hi Jason,

I thought you MARINES ran everywhere,
OOH HAA

SEE YA
b

Having never heard of Reiki, I pulled the below information from the web. Is this essentially accurate, and if not can you point me to another source or sources to read up on it?

Thanks,

Jamie

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reiki (れいき, Reiki? IPA: [ˌreɪki]) is a form of spiritual practice, often compared to faith healing , proposed for the treatment of physical, emotional, mental and spiritual diseases. Mikao Usui developed Reiki in early 20th century Japan, where he claimed to receive the ability of 'healing without energy depletion' after three weeks of fasting and meditating on Mount Kurama. Practitioners use a technique similar to the laying on of hands, in which they claim to be channels for energy ("Ki") guided by a universal spirit or spiritual nature ("Rei") — flowing through their palms to heal a person wherever they may need healing. A study said that in 2002 there were over one million U.S. adults who had experienced Reiki treatments.

There are some points of controversy regarding the legitimacy of Reiki. Some studies have shown that the effect of Reiki is similar to that of a placebo, and the majority of the scientific community considers it classifiable as pseudoscience.[10]

Martial Art Style TSD

The number of hospitals and health care providers that are now accepting Reiki treatments as a viable modality continues to rise, I believe that the article you have come across is in the minority, just ask anyone who has had an authentic Reiki session. Or ask anyone who I gave Reiki to during Kodanja, haha

b

Bernard,

I know nothing about this at all. Until I read it here, I have never heard of it. You tell me to ask people, and that is what I am doing :) I am not attacking you, Reiki or anyone in anyway, just asking for information pertaining to it. I am always looking into things involving Ki energy in order to understand it, is it real, is it just physics, if it is real what is its nature...?

What I have found on Wikipedia so far unfortunately is the only source that has actually told me anything about it. The Reiki sites I have found tell me nothing, want me to purchase a book, or pay them $1,000s of dollars to learn it, but they do not tell me what it is I am paying so much to learn (Faith healing with Ki energy?). Please understand, I was simply requesting alternative information, I do want to learn about this. I may decide like you it is amazing, or I may decide it is not so amazing, but I cannot do so without learning.

Therefore, the same question remains, can you help me by providing websites of value, scientific studies, books, vidoes you recommend, a good FAQ someplace, or even in the lack of this just give me a brief explanation as to what it is? First hand accounts are good sources, and if you give me the names of people who would talk to me I would certainly ask them about their experiences, if you want to share with me, please do I would be grateful. If you could recommend books, videos, websites, I would be very grateful. You know about something I know nothing about, I just am asking for someone to point me in the right direction. The only thing I know now is that you have strong feelings about the subject, and I very much respect those feelings. But, as of right now the only things I know actually about Reiki are:

1) What was written in the Article (whether it is True or False that is my only information)
2) People running websites want me to pay them a lot of money to learn about it, but won't tell me what it is.
3) You, someone I have come to respect holds Reiki in high regard.

Hoping you can help me learn something new,

Jamie

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

No problem Jamie, let me see what I can dig up and I'll post the link for you.
I hope to get your answers by the end of this weekend.
b

Thanks Bernard. I really appreciate it, I am very interested in things involving Ki. I have been ever since I was a wee lad. I have heard some great stories over the years, and some great second hand accounts and testamonials. I am on sort of an ongoing quest to try to understand the nature of Ki energy myself, and Reiki seems like a very promising place to look.