Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
VELCRO BELTS???

OK,

I've seen everything, what is with these new velcro belts? the knot is already tied and the velcro is behind it?? come on people, can we not even tie a belt??

b

Re: VELCRO BELTS???

I teach at a college, & have to show them how to tie their belts for about 2-3 weeks before they can remember them. lol
At least they don't sell our master's belts. (do they?!)
MP

Re: Re: VELCRO BELTS???

Yeah Century started making those some time ago, I was astounded...man maybe I should try to market a uniform with the belt pretied, and stitched to it, so all ya got to do is pull it over your head, Id made a killing every belt test whoo whoo...
--josh

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: Re: Re: VELCRO BELTS???

Even better make it a jump suite! just zip it up, lol

Re: Re: Re: Re: VELCRO BELTS???

Isn't that how Elvis worked out?!
Thank you. Thank you very much.

are you serious? can i get a link to that?

Re: Re: VELCRO BELTS???

HERE YA GO !!

http://www.awma.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/10127.htm

Hi Melanie

b

While I readily agree that the vast majority of martial arts students certainly don't require a Velcro belt (the martial arts equivalent of a clip-on necktie), they do serve a purpose in special cases.
For many years I had a student who only had one arm, and for many years I watched him struggle for twenty minutes or so just trying to get his belt on correctly, which in fact he was seldom able to do. It would start coming unraveled about ten minutes into the class, and he was constantly having to stop and attempt to retie it throughout the class. Needlesss to say, this was somewhat distracting to the class overall, and most certainly an unwanted detriment to the handicapped students training time overall. My son spotted these Velcro belts in a catalog, purchashed one for this student, and presented it to him as a present. Problem solved, and everyone in class, including myself, was happy with the results of this gift.

That said, however, for a student that is not burdened by such a handicap, to be wearing a velcro belt in class, pretty much borders on being a sacreligious action on their part. If they can't devote enough of their energy to tie their belt on, what kind of effort will they be putting forth in class?

Martial Art Style Shotokan

@Kyoshi

very well spoken. thanks for the link mr redfield!

are u gonna be in town for the greenwich tournament?

That makes sense, velcro for Handicapped, but not for a person who simply not willing to take the time to learn to do it correctly.

I don't think I will back in CT for awhile, so I will not be at the Greenwhich Tournament.

b