Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
February Seminar at my Dojang in Wixom, Michigan

I have been contacted by a number of instructors from across the country that wanted to participate in one of my seminars, but didn’t have enough support to bring me to their schools. They have asked me to teach a seminar in my school over the weekend of February 15, 16 & 17, 2008.

The event has been set in stone. Everyone is welcome to attend…

The fee for the weekend will be $50.00/per participant.

Your flight in to Detroit should be thru Detroit Metro Airport - DTW
The Airport is approximately 45 minutes from the hotel, so please plan your travel arrangements accordingly.
I have made arrangements with the "Crowne Plaza Hotel". The CPH is located about one mile from my school and has a shuttle that can transport all of you to and from.

The room rate will be $89.00/per night.

Crowne Plaza Hotels & Resorts
27000 Sheraton Drive
Novi, MI 48377
800-713-3573
248-348-5000
Sales Mgr.- Gary Ward
gward@cpnovi.com

I am hoping to have everyone set up in their hotels by 5:30pm on Friday, and at the school by 6:45pm so we can start the Friday evening session at 7:00pm.

We will start with a 2 hour session on how I teach basic hand techniques and flow into applications on all of them.

Saturday morning we will start at 10:00am with Forms and applications till 1:00pm and break for lunch.

Return in time to start the afternoon session at 2:30 and run till 6:00pm.

Saturday evening I would like us all to go to Greek Town for dinner at the "New Parthenon". The food and service are above the rest!!!

Sunday morning we will hold a final session from 10:00am to noon and get everyone on the road to the airport.

I will cover as much material as the group can comfortably handle. I will make a DVD of the weekend for everyone, and for those who are unable to attend, I will make copies available as well.

Bring your cameras as well!!!

This seminar is open to all ranks, and all systems. Small children will most likely get lost to some degree with this material, but if you want to bring them I don't have a problem with it. The majority of participants will be in the Black Belt ranks. I will present material that is rank appropriate for those who are under BB ranking, but I will focus on BB material.

Please send me an email to my personal email address if you are going to attend, with an accurate number of participants that you are bringing so I can make the necessary arrangements in advance.
My personal email is: masterpenfil@yahoo.com.

Are you guys familiar with the website: KICKPICKS.COM?

Stace Sanchez is the site owner and travels all over the world taking pictures of martial artists everywhere. He currently gets more than 10,000 hits a month on his site.

Stace came to my grand opening in April, 2007 and took 138 pictures of the grand opening ceremony for me. They came out GREAT. Stace is going to do a photo shoot here at my school during the seminar weekend and will be present to shoot random shots during all of the sessions!!!

JB Jaeger teaches "Iron Wheel Fist", a Korean system in Baltimore. We had a chance to train together earlier in 2007. He is a solid practitioner with much to share. He asked me if he could teach a session during the seminar weekend. I will have him teach a session on Saturday afternoon. You guys will enjoy his art.

Another martial arts professional that may be joining us for the weekend is Kevin Kearns.

Kevin Kearns is the strength and conditioning coach for UFC fighter Kenny Florian and consults with many other professional mixed martial arts fighters. Go to this web address to see a photo of Kevin and UFC Fighter, Kenny Florian: http://i9.tinypic.com/401ltf5.jpg

He holds staff positions at a number of MMA studios, including the world renowned Sityodtong studio in Somerville, MA.

His DVD the "Burn with Kearns' 30 Minute Core Strength Workout" is distributed internationally. You can purchase the DVD at NHB Gear.

Besides being a personal fitness coach, Kevin has been active in the martial arts for 27 years. He has studied Kempo Karate, Shotokan Karate, Pekiti-tirsia Kali, Western Boxing, Muay Thai and BJJ. To make an appointment with Kevin, contact him at 800-516-3227 or email him at kevin@burnwithkearns.com

This weekend seminar will prove to be an awesome event on ALL levels!!!

Please contact me at your earliest convenience to reserve your spot. As stated earlier, I am going to focus on Black/Blue Belt and Master/Kodanja level material, but everyone regardless of rank will be welcome.

Because we are going to work all of the material with "Partner Training", everyone will be able to follow and benefit from this seminar.

Thank you to everyone for your support and friendship!!!

I will look forward to hearing from all of you soon,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: February Seminar at my Dojang in Wixom, Michigan

Wish I could be there! I'm having my Iaido instructor, Tim Shiomi Sensei back here again, the following weekend, to do a seminar on the Seito ****o Ryu kata, Gojushiho (AKA: Oh Ship Sa Bo in TSD/SBD). So my funds are gonna be tapped out a bit, for a lil' while.
Shiomi Sensei is a Nanna Dan (7th Degree) in Seito ****o Ryu from the late Kenzo Mabuni Soke, & a Go Dan in Toyama Ryu Iaido from Morioka Sensei, Kaicho of the Toyama Ryu Iaido kai. Shiomi Sensei is also the US rep for the Toyama Ryu Iaido kai, as well.
If anyone is interested, thats in FL, please let me know.

David

Re: Re: February Seminar at my Dojang in Wixom, Michigan

David,
I wish I could make it you yours as well...

We have Morio Hiaonna coming in for 4 days (Jan.17-20). My funds are thin at this time as well.

It's good to be back in contact with you again.

All the best,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Re: Re: Re: February Seminar at my Dojang in Wixom, Michigan

Higaonna Sensei's phenomenal! I remember the 1st time I met him at a Gashuku back in the early 90's, we were doing a punch/block drill similar to Pak/Pak Da in Wing Chun. He moved my partner aside, and started punching me, I couldnt block a single one of his punches, he is extremely fast! I knew he had power, but didnt know how fast he was till then. He just giggled, lol. Are you hosting him, or are you just going to it? If you're hosting it, I know what you're talking about($), I heard. I hope you have alot of support for it.

David

Re: Re: Re: Re: February Seminar at my Dojang in Wixom, Michigan

Hi David,
No, I am just going to be a participant. One of his students opened a dojo here in Michigan about 45 minutes from me. We have established a good friendship and he invited me to attend. The fee is $269.00/per person.

I will report back to you after the event...

We are all looking forward to it. I can't imagine having him here in town and missing it!!!

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: February Seminar at my Dojang in Wixom, Michigan

Master Penfil,
It was great seeing you at Adam’s “Make a wish” tournament this weekend. Adam Lux is a spectacular martial artist and friend, and it was a wonderful way to spend the afternoon and raise money for charity.

After watching the camaraderie between yourself and the other Masters that attended, I asked Leo if he realized what a great privilege it has been to have so many great Masters and instructors embrace him as one of their own, and be willing to teach him so much.

He told me that he can’t describe how great he feels to go to a tournament over 400 miles from home and have great masters like you embrace him and show such genuine interest in everything about him.

He loves knowing that he can walk into any one of 20 Martial Arts Schools in Michigan, and find a friend that would welcome him to train.

I will be back in the office on Tuesday to confirm my calendar, but it looks like Leo will be able to attend your February seminar. He is really looking forward to it.

Thank you for showing Leo and Miranda such loving support, and thank Doug for working Leo’s corner during sparing.

Joe St.Amour

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: February Seminar at my Dojang in Wixom, Michigan

Joe,
As always, it was great to see you, Heather, Leo and Miranda!!!

It was awesome to see how when I first met you guys, Leo was as tall as my shoulder, and now he is my height or a little taller.

I am looking forward to having Leo participate in our seminar. i spoke with Master Zack Burns. He is hosting a tournament lter in the season and asked me to teach a seminar at his tournament.

I spoke with Adam yesterday on the phone for over an hour. He will be getting deeper involved with me as well.

You are right about Adam. he is a really great guy to work with. His head is on straight, and his heart is always in the right place...

Please give my best to Heather and the kids. I will look forward to hearing back from you soon.

If you have myspace, go to my page at: myspace.com/masterpenfil to see my photo albums. There is much there to share.

Yours in Tang Soo Do,

Master Jay S. Penfil

TANG SOO!!!