Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One-Steps

In reading some of posts, I came across some talk regarding one steps, as an exercise and decided to share my humble opinion, which has come to me after 30 years in the Martial Arts and 20 something of them as a black belt.

When I was young, and even a young black belt, I believed that one-steps while (almost as fun as sparring) were pretty much worthless. After all, if you want to fight, just get out there and spar.

Over the years, having taught self-defense and matured a great deal, I have found that the opposite is true. Sparring (the way most folks do it, be it full contact, point fighting or MMA) is actually less valuable in most self defense situations than simple exercises such as one step sparring.

I know, many have stopped reading and are even now hurling daggers or getting the gasoline and match ready, but hear me out.

Most fights are decided in the first moments of confrontation, in my life I have never been in what I would call a real fight that lasted longer than a minute (and granted I do not make a habit of fighting in real fights-so these encounters granted have been extremely limited...I make no apologies for this and think it is a good thing). What one steps teach if they are fundamentally sound is (1) Get out of the way, (2) block the attack, keep it from following you and (3) counter the attack and disable the attacker. The Special Forces soldiers and Police officers I work with, tend to agree that this training when done properly works.

We train with first one step punching, followed by three step punching (the drill primarily teaches a student to deal with distance, not so much blocking anyone can block three times) and finally what we call one step sparring where the attacker throws any technique he or she chooses and the defender, defends. It is a gradual step, as the student progresses, but it teaches the student to defend, seize the initiative and end the confrontation quickly. A one step is not something that last 5 seconds, it is something that is an instantaneous response, ending with the attacker either, subdued, controlled (locks, Arm Bars, Breaks), thrown or taken out.

I am not stating that sparring is of no use in self-defense, or other methods of training do not prepare the student. But, one-steps seem to be a bad thing in the opinions of many, and in reality (if they are used correctly in ones training) they can be a great asset. Try some of the techniques in our Tang Soo Do forms and apply them in the one steps and you might be amazed, I know I often am, and it is a great way for the students to see how the techniques in their Hyungs work (or might work) when applied correctly.

Anyway, my main point, is that as a self-defense tool, I think many folks tend to sell one steps a bit short. If one is learning them properly, one is learning not the individual techniques so much, but learning about the body mechanics (theirs and the attackers) and the principles of avoiding an attack and countering an attack. And hopefully, that will one day translate into actual self defense. IE we are teaching the student to fish, not as most see it giving him a fish and hoping that the guy on the street throws a perfect martial arts punch to the nose.

Hope this makes sense, it is just an observation I have come to after many years of teaching and being told what works. Time and time again, law enforcement folks and military combat instructors which I have either taught or simply had the pleasure to work with have told me that drills like one steps are much more useful (though not as fun) as a good sparring match for what they do.

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do

Re: One-Steps

Hello Jamie, nice to hear from you.

I agree with all you said, I believe one steps teach many valuable skills. Timing-distance-control,also doing one steps in a mirror is fine for learning basic movement, but then having an actual opponent attack you, seems to fluster the heck out of many students, so with practice you also are learning to become desensitized to the attack and instead of fight or flight, you can begin to think through the attack and keep your head.

great post Jamie

Tang Soo!

b

Martial Art Style TangSooDo

Re: Re: One-Steps

Hey Jamie,
I am also a member of SBN Redfield's Dojang, here in Garner, NC at Redfeild MA, and as an 8th Gup?, White Belt.. preparing for my first Orange belt test soon, I feel very excited to say the least to have the sense about me now that my One Steps are becoming more natural. There are ways (techniques) that SBN Redfield uses like not throwing the same punch, using a different arm (R vs. L) and adds combinations to the technique, AFTER the technique is somewhat natural or student shows proficiency in the step(s) learned. I am a large individual, 6'4 and weigh about 290, and the steps with the hand motion in the Mi Guk Kwan has helped me not only gain balance with the basic forms, but also gives me the confidence that as I get more training will always fall back on the basics as my first line of memory / defense. I summary, I also agree in both posts, yours and SBN Redfield that unless the basics are proficient, and become second nature in sparring or street fighting (I have not had one, since kindergarten, and thought Karate was just something that was not meant for America?), but as my Son and I both got into Redfield Martial Arts, it is a very beautiful "Art" and I hope to be in it for many, many years, and feel more prepared for every day events with work and home. I am a 911 supervisor in the County that I live in. (Johnston Co, NC, SE of Raleigh.

Thanks for the post, please visit our website often, and if you are in the are pls visit the Dojang,

Tang Soo!!

Fred

Martial Art Style TSD - MGK

Re: One-Steps

Fred,

I am a longtime reader of SBN Redfield's board (at least 3 or 4 years) and read it rather regularly, I just do not post very often. You are very lucky to have a quality instructor like SBN Redfield and a great school to go to.

I certainly would love to visit one day and meet Mr. Redfield and his students. I have garnered a great deal of respect for him over the years reading his boards. I am presently in Arkansas where my school is located, but I travel quite a bit so one day maybe I will be in the area and take a detour and say hello. I think that would be really neat!

Good luck on your upcoming test and that is awesome that your one-steps are coming together. Like I stated, I think a lot of folks in the Martial Arts community are selling them a bit short lately. I agree with Mr. Redfield that when they are used properly as a training tool, they help the student learn so many things that contribute to good martial arts and practical self-defense.

Jamie

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do