Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
New Form

I am very sorry to hear about the "Moslems", but I have another topic to discuss... Pyung-ahn Ee-Dan... this is my newest form, and has some pretty complex sequences. Especially the (Kick-Punch-Side Block on the 2nd trip "down the middle". I am feeling pretty confident that I will get it, but my next testing date includes the Grandmaster visiting Region 3 / Redfield Martial Arts in September. Hopefully going from 7th Gup to 6th Gup. (NO pressure there).. I am nearly doing the form without assistance (but with verbal cues) from SBN Redfield, and I am getting lots of help from Sawyer my son. I see the other higher belts doing the higher skill level forms, and wonder if I can remember all of the form, then all the fine tuning that is done to make it picture perfect. I sure do love to get the forms fine tuned.. it's almost an obsession.. Then I remember this is an art form and self defense, exercise and a way of life that will never get old to me, I look forward to doing this for many years to come.

Have a Good Week

W. Fred Simmons

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do - Mi Guk Kwan

Re: New Form

I think you are coming along very well with your form.
Everyone should practice as much as you and Sawyer.
Hope Sawyer is having fun at Camp, we miss his energy.

TANG SOO
SBN

Re: New Form

Hi Fred,

I know what you mean about the complexity of the forms, and trying to get them committed to memory, and then trying to get them "just right." Hyungs are, by far, my favorite part of TSD, so that combined with my perfectionist-by-nature personality makes me put myself through the wringer a whole bunch, too! I remember when I first learned Pyung Ahn Ee Dan I felt exactly as you do about the higher level forms -- they seem so involved, so long, so demanding, and so complicated. And to a certain extent, they are! But I'm sure you'll be able to learn them -- you are capable of far more than you're giving yourself credit for. Just be patient.

What I've seen, time and again, is that I tend to follow a few stages in learning each new form. First I have to get it in my head -- know the sequence, know all of the individual techniques in proper order so that you can "dictate" them to myself as I work out and train.

Then I have to learn to perform the movements correctly -- this can be fairly tricky, especially if the form incorporates some new techniques that I haven't really done previously (like your kick-punch-side block in Ee Dan, for example -- for me, one of the first biggies was learning the scoop and turn movement that follows the first spear hand in Pyang Ahn Sam Dan -- for some reason, that one really threw me!).

Then, once I've got all of the movements "working," it takes time to get it "nice." Get the pacing solid. Make each technique distinct but also find a rhythm that makes the transitions and combinations of techniques that are embedded in the form work "better." Tweak hand position, foot position, hip position, get the stances lower, and so on and so on and so on. As I've progressed, I've found this is the stage where I spend most of my time. This is especially true of the Chil Sung forms for me -- relaxation and grace doesn't come naturally to me, so Chil Sung forms tend to present some very particular challenges! Chil Sung Ill Rho took me a solid 3 months to get to a place where I felt it was good enough to present at tournament. And I'm currently at 4 months working on Chil Sung Sam Rho and I'm still not entirely thrilled with it -- just hope I don't embarrass myself at Nationals!

Tang Soo!

Gregg

Martial Art Style TSDMGK