Haynes Family Forum

This Forum is to help people trying to find their ancestors.

Haynes Family Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Re: Haynes family from Ireland

Hello... I am not sure how much help this would be to you, but my ggreat great grandfather was born in Ireland, I believe in Cork. I do not know at this time if he had siblings.

Kathy Haynes Whitt

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

My great grandfather was from County Cork, that is almost all that I know about my family. My grandfather CLAIMS to be Irish. Please let me know if we are somehow related.

Re: Re: Haynes family from Ireland

Information about the Haynes Family from County Cork Ireland.

I am a decendent of the Haynes family, the Judge was my great, great granfather, his son Val was my great grand father, and he only his daughter is my grand mother. If you hav any information about the Haynes family from county cork plese let me know any information you have.

John Carmichael Haynes
• John Carmichael Haynes had arrived in Victoria from County Cork, Ireland, in 1853 and joined the newly formed B.C. Police force

• Judge Carmichael Haynes arrived in Osoyoos in 1861 and the Haynes Family were some of the few settlers in the Okanagan Valley

• He established the Haynes Ranch and the first the customs house.

• He was the first Collector of Customs at Osoyoos (1861) and was appointed Gold Commissioner, appointed Magistrate 1864, and was commissioned County Court Judge in 1886.

• The ranch extended from the border in Osoyoos to the head of Penticton, on an estimated 20,000 acres with over 22,000 head of cattle.

• The Judge was stricken with illness At the Allison Ranch, near Princeton when returning from a gold commission from the coast. He died on his birthday, July 6th, 1888, aged 56.

• The family then returned to the Old Country to finish the children's education and his son Val returned in 1893

Valentine Carmichael Haynes
• Valentine Carmichael Haynes was the first white child born in Osoyoos, on December 21st, 1875. The eldest child of a family of 3 boys and 3 girls born to Judge J. C. Haynes and his wife, Emily Josephine, who was a daughter of Captain George Pettendrigh, a veteran of the Crimean war.

• He was married to Elizabeth Runnels, whose mother had been a sister to Nespelem George, one of the best known and highly respected Indian Chiefs of the Northwest.

• Mrs. Haynes was a talented woman, being well known for her oil paintings and was called to Washington, D.C. as interpreter on several occasions. She died in 1942. One daughter, Alice Thompson

• Val Haynes had been cowboying since he was 8 years old and at a time when the large herds were being acquired in the lower Okanagan and Similkameen Valleys.

• Val Haynes had been active until a month before his death. It was his habit for many years to wean the calves on Dec. 14, and on Dec. 21st, his birthday, would drive the calves to the Swan Lake Ranch. This last birthday, his 87th, was no exception—driving with the help of some of his grandsons, some 200 calves a distance of about twenty miles.

Valentine Carmichael Haynes
• Valentine Carmichael Haynes was the first white child born in Osoyoos, on December 21st, 1875. The eldest child of a family of 3 boys and 3 girls born to Judge J. C. Haynes and his wife, Emily Josephine, who was a daughter of Captain George Pettendrigh, a veteran of the Crimean war.

• He was married to Elizabeth Runnels, whose mother had been a sister to Nespelem George, one of the best known and highly respected Indian Chiefs of the Northwest.

• Mrs. Haynes was a talented woman, being well known for her oil paintings and was called to Washington, D.C. as interpreter on several occasions. She died in 1942. One daughter, Alice Thompson

• Val Haynes had been cowboying since he was 8 years old and at a time when the large herds were being acquired in the lower Okanagan and Similkameen Valleys.

• Val Haynes had been active until a month before his death. It was his habit for many years to wean the calves on Dec. 14, and on Dec. 21st, his birthday, would drive the calves to the Swan Lake Ranch. This last birthday, his 87th, was no exception—driving with the help of some of his grandsons, some 200 calves a distance of about twenty miles.