Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Effect of lipid-lowering agents (Lopid and statins) on myotonia

my dad never had any symptoms of myotonic dystrophy until they put him on lipitor. now he's been diagnosed, 10+ years after me

Re: Re: Re: Effect of lipid-lowering agents (Lopid and statins) on myotonia(procainamide)

Statins certainly unmasked my husbands myotonic dystrophy and contributed to 14, near fatal ,arrythemias to his heart. Procainamide saved his life and(this is remarkable) virtually all symptoms of myotonia are gone--he can unclasp his hands and feet, his jaw no longer locks, and his tongue does not get tied. Does any one out there take procainamide?

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

my dad never had any symptoms of myotonic dystrophy until they put him on lipitor. now he's been diagnosed, 10+ years after me

Re: Re: Re: Effect of lipid-lowering agents (Lopid and statins) on myotonia(procainamide)

Statins certainly unmasked my husbands myotonic dystrophy and contributed to 14, near fatal ,arrythemias to his heart. Procainamide saved his life and(this is remarkable) virtually all symptoms of myotonia are gone--he can unclasp his hands and feet, his jaw no longer locks, and his tongue does not get tied. Does any one out there take procainamide?

Re: Effect of lipid-lowering agents (Lopid and statins) on myotonia

Have tried numerous statins.
Each one made the myotonia much worse.