Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
niece with MC

I am 23 years old and was diagnosed with MC at a young age (around 7). I have three older sisters Mary, Kristen, and Kathleen, and two of them have MC as well. My sister Kathleen recently had a little girl, and I was wondering if anyone knew of the possibility of her child contrating the disease. My sister with the child does not have the disease, however the other two do along with myself.
If anyone has any statistics or other info about gereration gaps with this disorder it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: niece with MC

Pete,

Your sister, Kathleen, would need to get an EMG to be sure she doesn't have MC since some people don't have obvious symptoms. If she doesn't, then her daughter won't inherit it.

If no other family members (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc) have symptoms of myotonia, then most likely you have the recessive form called Becker's MC. Both parents carry a recessive gene and it will only show up in siblings. If that's the form you have, your children will not inherit MC unless you marry someone who also carries the recessive gene.

However if you do have other family members besides siblings with symptoms, then you would have the dominant form called Thomsen's MC. In that case your children have a 50% chance of inheriting MC.

Myotonia congenita does not skip generations. The recessive form could show up again in another generation if the carrier of the gene marries someone who is also a carrier. That's quite rare, but it can happen.

Hope that helps!

Jan

nice to meet another patient with MC

hello,

i am vipul joshi from india. i have myotonia congenita(backer's type) since birth. presently i take mexitil (150gm) twice a day.

i am 23. i am a chemical engineer.

i give this information bcs i never meet another people with mc.

i always want to meet people with mc so i am sending this message to you. you didn't write your e-mail address clearly in your forum. pls send me your e-mail.

i am felling this disease since birth, but i can't express in words, what is this disease. a disease which never give you permission to live alone without it until death is called myotonia congenita.

well, what's about you.what medicine you are taking right now. is there any treatment availabel for this disease. where does you live?

take care.