Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: 100 Years Family History of MC

Jan,

Well I made a start on the exercise simply by walking up and down 2 flights of stairs for 15 minutes. I gradually got faster and faster until I was close to running speed upstairs which I doubted I could still do.

As a matter of interest I tested my blood pressure both before and after the exercise.

I was quite astonished that the exerecise caused my blood pressure to decrease very significantly. Obviously my pulse was much higher but my blood pressure was the lowest I've ever measured (still safe but certainly on the low side).

This was the exact opposite of what I was expecting and I'm somewhat puzzled.

The exercise made me feel quite happy and elated. I must do it more often.

Re: Exercise

Charlie,

I love to exercise and usually feel okay at the time...it's a few hours later and the next day or two that really get me!

A comment on the blood pressure - it's pretty normal for the diastolic (second measurement) to drop during exercise. However if the systolic drops significantly you should get it checked out. Also if you stop exercising suddenly and take your BP it can drop quite drastically.

We used to have to run bleachers in PE class which I always dreaded. Sometimes I get stiff as I start moving and would fall. Then I'm okay till I stop for a while and the myotonia kicks in. Part of this has to do with increased insulin levels from exercise. Since I changed my diet I hardly ever have symptoms any more but I do still keep my exercise routine very moderate :-)

Jan

Re: Re: Exercise

What triggers big changes in my blood pressure is what is going on in my mind. For example I think I got the highest reading ever after completing a tax form. I can bring it down to very low levels through deep breathing/meditation.

I very rarely go and see my Doctor but when I do - my reading always shoots way above its normal level - simply because I don't like him for how he treated my Mother (well actually he wouldn't even examine her).

I guess I should get another Doctor.

Re: 100 Years Family History of MC

Hi everybody.. Im new to this site.. have had MC since birth, and i need a whole book to detail the long road to recovery,and management for this illness which has blighted my life.. Im now 60..and feeling a lot better because i dont have to live up to the expectations of ''well'' people, or be stressed out with the demands of a family. I am responding today, because of your mention of procainamide.. and your experience with smoking dope..
Firstly, I was on procainamide for 10yrs.. the 3 times daily dose was far too much, and i ended up with just a morning dose..I had terrible withdrawal symptoms which used to kick in around 6pm, just as i needed to be cooking for the family etc.. I was continually grumpy and screaming at the kids.2 of which have MC..I started having joint pains, in fact i was in agony 'in my bones', and eventually i said, enough is enough, and i went cold turkey. I met, or was led to, a naturopathic guru, and was forbidden all usual chemical drugs.. I have managed to detox my body over the years, and take homeopathic remedies for absolutely everything..I avoid everything that could bring on an attack, including stress.. but we all know that MC has a mind of its own, and does what it wants, when it wants.. i have had to tailor my life accordingly.. I basically find i cannot keep up with the healthy, and to a degree, this has slowly led me to quite a solitary existance now that i have empty nest, which i enjoy within the confines of the illness.
My second point relates to your mention of marihuana. I have always maintained that i could not have coped without smoking dope.As a 'hippy' in the good old days, i was a late smoker..didnt know about it till my thirties..and in those days it was new and good fun.When my guru stopped me smoking nicotene, i found a way round it by smoking herbal cigs made of Coltsfoot and Rose petals. There are plenty of herbal cigs nowadays.. Of course, I cannot smoke the new hybrid stuff, Skunk...nor any rubbish solid stuff.. but natural grass, has been my saviour for 30yrs.It helps me shut off the strain of coping with a MC affecting my whole body.. from my tongue to my toes.. i have cramps in places[ like behind the ears]where i was unaware muscles exist.
So i am pleased to hear of someone else who finds it helpful...
At some point i will tell my story too..in the meantime i am blown away to link with fellow sufferers. Love Vicky..in London. England