Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Not happy about Diet

i also find it works for me

Type of Myotonia: johnrobia@hotmail.com,3

Re: Not happy about Diet

Scott, don't feel like you have to give up everything all the time :-) I can eat small amounts of most of the "don't eat" foods as long as I only have them once a week or so.

Also foods that contain more oil are less likely to raise blood sugar quickly, so if you eat something sweet or want a baked potato, don't go for the low-fat version!

I do have a Mug Root Beer now and then with pizza (which is very high fat) so you can find ways to work in your favorites. Just know that you may be a little stiffer the next day.

One of the biggest changes for me was when I quit using iodized salt and vitamin/mineral supplements or fortified foods with iodine added. Potassium iodide has warnings for myotonia and for me even a small amount a day was keeping the stiffness going.

Jan

Re: Re: Not happy about Diet

Thank you so much, especially about the iodized salt. I have always made sure , even though I dont use much salt, that the salt we buy is iodized. I never knew it was an aggitator. I am learning so much that I never knew thanks to you and your forum.

The dr. pepper is gonna be hard though, I gave up beer and went to DP years ago. I consume about three 20 oz bottles per day!! BIG CHANGE !!

Type of Myotonia: bemoonlight,4

Re: Not happy about Diet

Scott, I know a lot of people love carbonated beverages. Have you tried non-alcoholic beer like Sharps or O'Douls? You can also take plain soda water and add unsweetened fruit juice concentrate for a fizzy drink. Both would be low enough in simple sugars that you should be okay.

Jan