Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Drug treatment - Mexiletine

there are many different factors that contribute to my stiffness, change of seasons, stress, lack of sleep, lack of exercise and so on....somedays I feel that the mexi does not work as effective but I don't think it is the mexi it is life, even if you don't have MC you have bad days and good days but I do find the lazier I am the worse it gets so proper stretching and exercise are essential along with proper diet and sleep.....and if you think about it it is the same for anybody with or with out MC...keep a positive attitude and understand just how special we are

John

Type of Myotonia: johnrobia@hotmail.com,3

Few questions....

Hi everyone, i have a few questions about myotonia that i need some help with.. First here's my story.. I am 16 years old and was diagnosed with myotonia congenita 2 years ago, the doctors(neurologist) I went to at a muscular distrophy center had never heard of if before, but they did some research and declared thats what I had.They gave me some muscle relaxers but those didn't do a thing except make me dead tired. After that I kind of gave up on fixing "it" and just dealt with it, now that i have started searching more about myotonia i see that there are some things you can do. I know there are some different types of myotonia and I am wondering what type I have. Here are some problems that occur with me the most... I dont have myotonia as bad as some people do when they choke and stuff, but heres what happens to me.. the worst is when it gets really really hot and i start excercising, then take a little brake, and start exercising again.. it feels like im in slow motion and takes me a while to get going like normal.... For instance i went out for track last year and the first thing we did everyday was run 2 laps on the track, then start our regular practice. The myotonia didnt affect me unless we stopped running for more then 15 seconds, then my muscles would "lock up", then id kick my legs out trying to loosen my muscles up but it didnt help much...
so i'm wondering if this is the type of myotonia everyone else has and does mexitil help with this??? i also have been following Jan's diet for the last week and it has greatly improved, ive been mostly eating pizza and drinking milk and gatorade, for example, i ran 2 miles last night on the treadmill and when i finished i sat down for 5 minutes, then got up and ran again, and it didnt take me as long as usual to "get going again"...... Ive also heard that the reason for my myotonia is a potassium inbalance.. any ideas or comments??
THANKS FOR TAKING YOUR TIME TO READ THIS......

Type of Myotonia: ,3

Re: Few questions....

Those are the typical symptoms. I have never choked or had trouble swallowing. But sounds like I have myotonia worse than you. After excercising and resting for a while it is worse than usual. From what I understand this drug Mexiteline (sp) really helps.