Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mexitil works for me - for now...

Hi there, I have been perscribed mexitil after years of not having meds - I had tried dilantin a couple of different times, but absolutely hated the side effects and weaned myself off of it both times. I have lost trust in Drs after being given a muscle biopsy and being left with the feeling that it was unnecessary. My trust is returning - bit by bit.

I have spoken to many Drs over the years, and still have no definite diagnosis, but the Dr I saw through the MDA clinic this time around agreed to the mexitil and I am taking a low dose and raising it weekly to reach 200mg 3x a day.

I started out getting some odd sharp shooting pains after taking the first dose, but ever since, I have been walking on a cloud. My motonia and the weakness were pretty severe. I now still have some cramping, but I can take the stairs at a near-normal gait - the weakness is so much less. I can tell the difference in my blood pressure, too. It seems now like it was too low before. I would lean over to do something and get light headed when I stood back up. That is now greatly diminished. I feel like somebody chipped the concrete blocks off my hands and feet. I can roll over in bed without waking up from the pain or entanglement - I can turn my alarm clock off without a huge ordeal. I can feel my energy returning. I took the stairs instead of the elevator at work today...I'll be back on my motorcycle in no time - as soon as it gets above 40 degrees again, that is...and I won't have to worry so much about the surprise myotonia after long stretches of highway...there have been times I couldn't downshift on an exit. Yikes.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with developing a tolerance to this drug? Sneaky side effects?

Thanks in advance!!

Amanda

Re: Mexitil works for me - for now...

Amanda, I'm so glad to hear you're doing well with the Mexitil. It's great that your doctor understood the importance of working up slowly...I think a lot of people quit because of the side effects when you try to take a full dose right off the bat.

Hopefully you won't develop a tolerance. I wonder if stopping occasionally for a week or two helps prevent that. I'll do some checking and see if I can find anything.

Jan

Re: Mexitil works for me - for now...

I have been using mexitil (mexiletine) for about 2 years now. I take 250 mg three times a day. Mexitil is very effective but I found that at a lower dose it did not work well. Some people who use mexiletine for nueropathic pain are prescribed a much higher dosage. Most side effects diminished after about a week and fortunately I have not developed a tolerance. The most significant continuing side effect is a minor stomach pain after I take my second dose around noon. This will only occur if I do not eat breakfast, which, for no good reason I often skip.