Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: so grateful

Hello my name is Ethan and i'm 16 and have MC, Becker type. I was not diagnosed for it untill two years ago.

For the embarassment aspect for my disease, and your daughter's, you just have to have all your friends know. I remember being a kid it wasn't too bad but around 10-13 years of age it started bother me quite a bit. I got made fun of some times for running like a was on stilts. However, when i got diagnosed I told some of my closest friends, then when I was more comfortable told mostly everybody and everybody who asked.

I had swimming lesson's too, I hated tredding water, I had no idea why it was so hard for me, and you had to do it for so long, so I didn't pass level four. I stopped swimming lessons all right there. I do though, wish I would of tried again the next year, because probably with a little bit of practice I could of made it. Also when jumping off of boats to get into the water after sitting in it a long time...make sure that when you jump in the water isn't deeper then how tall you are. Scary feeling, but after some seconds of trying to get yourself up, it becomes easier to surface the water.

With the progressiveness, basicly it might get a little worse but not much, I remember it probably tipping off around 13, 14.

I drive, and was able to stomp on the brakes right away to avoid a car crash. (Wasn't my fault)

For sports, I currently play Hockey, Golf, and run in Cross Country. I use to play football and baseball but stopped after 7th grade. Because of the start and stop aspect. Hockey I play goalie, no jumping off the bench and skating right away, just in my crease, Ive had problems when I am on my bellie somtimes but,tat probably averages maybe once every three games maybe... Reaction time is good, obviously because you have to have great reaction time to be a goalie. When the puck is down at the other end i usualy stretch and do updowns, depending how "good" I feel, between wistles I sorta skate around a bit, just to loosen up, it is managable.
I recently joined cross country this year to get in shape for Hockey, let me tell you I am in the best shape ever, and CC isn't even over yet.
AND BETTER YET.... it has helped me alot with the disease, getting up after sitting awhile is a lot better, and stuff like that, it has helped out a whole lot.

Well I hoped I helped from a teenager point of view, sence your daughter is going to be a teen pretty soon. If you have any question ask, I will try to come here and check to see if you have asked questions and just to check out the forum, because this is the first time i actually checked it out today. I'll try...

sincerly,
ethan

Ethan, thanks for your input. I love your description of running on stilts - that's exactly what it feels like!

Jan

Re: Re: so grateful

Margaret, It sounds to me that you are on top of things. Walt is 17, and because his dad and granddad have MC, he has great role models. The one thing I try to always remember is to never put boundries on what he is capable of doing. Kids are smart, they will figure out what they can and can't do. We have never allowed Walt to use MC as an excuse for not trying his hardest at whatever he is involved in. There have been many times that I have watched with a big lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, but we always talked about it and insisted that he keep his head high. Walt will be entering Georgia Southern in the fall pursuing an engineering degree. He currently has a 4.0 GPA. He recently had to find a quote to put under his senior picture for the yearbook. He choose one by Helen Keller.."Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them. But do not let them master you." Am I proud of him? You bet! Talisa

WOW - he sounds like a heck of a kid! Lois