Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Re: Intro--heat

On really hot days it seams that i become weaker, colder days don't bother me as much as hot days. Because when golf starts it's nice and cool, and sometimes really cold, but then when it gets to really hot summer days, sometimes i feel really weak....

Re: Intro

Hi Dave - I wanted to let you know that Naproxyn is the medication which is in Aleve and other over-the-counter meds. You probably got a prescription strength, like 500mg, but you can by the non-prescription strength in any drug store, and take 2-3 of those - it's the same thing. Also, I wanted to let you know that you can mostly avoid the swallowing problem if you a) swallow with an empty mouth before you start drinking or eating, b) be sure you begin with just a small bite or sip for the first swallow, and c) if you do tighten up, bend your chin in towards your neck and slightly to the side (a therapy trick we teach stroke victims and others who experience swallow issues, and breathe very slowly and deeply through your nose. Just don't panic, because that tightens the muscles even more. It's something we just have to live with, but if you stay aware, you can usually avoid it! (unlike the punched-in-the-stomach feeling you get when you sneeze!) Hope this helps - lois (lolonurse) oh- also - iced drinks make it worse.

Re: Re: Intro

hi lois i just read the answer you gave to dave about swallowing, very true, i think we do a lot of things automatically and dont even realise we are doing it ,it made me laugh ,what you said about sneezing.i hate getting cough's too, a bad cough can leave me bent at the waist and groaning for quite a while.

Type of Myotonia: MSN Messenger,3

Re: Intro

oops - and maybe, the "hyper-cold" was hyperthermia? does that ring a bell? lois

Re: Re: Intro

thanks lois

Type of Myotonia: dw307,2