Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Re: Licorice Update

There is different licorice?

Re: Licorice Update

All licorice comes from the root, but there are candies, teas, root powder, etc. Many of the candies aren't made from true licorice - they have anise oil flavoring instead. Panda brand is pretty good from the health food store, but I'm sticking with the plain root powder.

I did see a licorice/peppermint tea that looked good, but for some reason after I got West Nile Virus any peppermint products make my spine go numb...it's pretty weird. Had to give up my favorite toothpaste!

Jan

Re: Re: Licorice

Well i went down to our local food and health store downtown. They didn't have licorice root in pill form, so I opted for the tea bags.

But I have a question, should i do the same thing as you do and start out small...because i don't know, if lets say if my two tablespoons of my tea are as potent as when you take two tablespoons of yours.

Re: Re: Re: Licorice

Good question...I think the ground root would probably be a little more potent since it would dissolve more completely in water. You would probably be safe starting with 1/2 cup prepared according to directions.

You'll know if you're getting too much if you start feeling a little jittery, like nervous energy. That could take several days of mild stimulation to the adrenals and should go away within a day or so of cutting back.

The articles I was reading where people felt the kick were dealing with very high doses and up to six cups of tea a day.

Jan

Re: Licorice

thanks A LOT! Jan.
this will definitely help.

I buy sugar-free XyliChew Licorice gum, sweetened only with Xylitol, which has been found to have some interesting beneficial qualities. Just another option to consider. lois

Hi Jan (everyone)

It seems there are two kinds of licorice root----dgl and regular licorice root. The dgl type has certain properties removed for different uses.

Jan, do you know whether either type is perferred for myotonia? I purchased the regular 450 mg capsules. I would like to try it as a tea like you described but use it with a regular tea bag (Lipton, etc.)

Do you think that would change the possible benefit?

This is like looking for a magic potion that will "cure" all the side effects. Thanks so much for all your (and everyone) input. It seems like this forum is really growing. Hopefully, we come across some easy, low cost, no side effect remedy.

Have a blessed and sunny day!!!

Anne,

You definitely want the regular licorice, not DGL. In that formulation the glycyrrhizin was removed so that people could use it for healing stomach ulcers and inflammation without having the mineralcorticoid effect (which reduces potassium levels and can raise blood pressure).

I think it would be okay to mix the teas. I saw a combination in the health food store and if you go to Amazon.com and do a search for licorice tea in gourmet foods you'll find lots of different types. It looks like it's often put into a spiced tea with cinnamon, orange, and other flavors.

Jan

Hi Anne - I'm just making this statement because some folks might be like me - I really can't tolerate caffeine, so that I wouldn't put the extract in regular teas - also, regular teas just don't always sit well with me.
I think the DGL licorice may be for folks who would be negatively impacted by the glycyrrhin, perhaps because of the effect on blood pressure, potassium levels, etc. - anyway, here's a link to a site that talks about it: (copy & paste)
http://nccam.nih.gov/health/licoriceroot/
What I'm not clear on, Jan, is whether it is the glycyrrhin that is helpful for MC? Then the DGL stuff would be useless for us. What's the scoop? Thanks! lois

Lois, I didn't see your post till I replied to Anne, but you're right, it's the glycyrrhizin that would benefit us. I'm sure it will be contraindicated for some on the forum because of heart or blood sugar issues, but at least it's one alternative option.

I'm like you - no tolerance for caffeine but the Stash licorice spiced tea looks really good and it's caffeine-free...might make a nice holiday tea. You have to read labels because a lot of products that say licorice are actually anise oil flavoring.

Jan

Yup - That's why I think the XyliChew licorice gum is good - it's licorice extract, in "metered" amounts - the gum is sugarless, and pretty good. I also like the Panda licorice. And there are a number of really tasty herb teas with licorice root in them - great for this time of year! Hey - I actually have a sweatshirt on tonight - today I was in shorts and a tank top and flip-flops, watering my cacti, and tonight I'm in sweats, thinking about gloves! Gotta love the desert! YIKES! lois

Hi Jan, Lois (everyone too)

Thanks for the info on the regular vs dgl licorice!!

I bought the right one. The teas and the gum sound delicious to me!! My dad (myotonia carrier) used to use salmiac pastil mints---(liorice)---I did some checking on internet about these mints----can't quite determine if they are truly licorice or just anise flavoring----I'll check further. My husband's dad always used to use Sen-Sen mints. Again, I couldn't determine by the info on the net if it is real licorice or just anise. Lot to check into--and will report back with any more findings. Have a blessed and sunny day!!!

I have written an e-mail to the company whose link I'm attaching, to see if they'll send me the ingredients, or at least confirm if this treat is from licorice or anise... http://www.gourmetofoldecity.com/malipa.html
I'll let you know when I hear - they do look nice. lois

Hi to everyone,

I just think this is so great that we can "talk" with so many people about our MC----whether it be possible remedies, funny stories, situations that it seems so many of "us" can relate to------a big thanks to everyone-----Hope everyone has a good, safe, Happy Thanksgiving!!! Jan, you're the greatest for all the time and efforts you've given to originate and keep this forum going!!! Have a blessed and sunny day!!!!